1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

weight distribution or spring helpers or both?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by Indyandy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

Own a 2000 K2500 ext cab long bed 7.4L auto
    I was given a old 19' Holiday Rambler camper. Truck squats when it is hooked up. (Might need new rear shocks too?) I dont know what I need. Do I need a weight distribution hitch? Or can I just get a RAS system? Do I need both? Not sure what the tongue weight is. I installed a trailer brake sytem and it pulls pretty good, but I haven't taken it on any long trips. What do you suggest?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The RAS system should take care of most of your problems.
    But also check the weight distribution on your trailer, Holiday Ramblers are quality trailers but for some odd reason earlier models were mfgrd nose heavy.
    This used to be an issue with them being towed, not as many of the older models on the road anymore so the issue isnt as wide spread.
  3. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'll add my $.02, it looks like either one has it's pros and cons.
    The RAS system in bolted to the tow vehicle to use with any trailer, whereas the WDH option has bolted plates on the trailer that can allow the hitch assy to be used with any tow vehicle......
    So I'd say it's up to you where you want your flexibility.

You may also want to check your hitch rating compared to the trailer weight and tongue weight. WDH can allow heavier trailers and heavier tongue weights.

Back in the old days before the RAS systems I did similar by just adding leafs to the spring assy's.

Either way you are still limited by the GVWR and tire ratings of the vehicle.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you want to do whats best for the truck and safety of your self and others you should do both. A WDH distributes the load of the trailer better to the front of the truck as well as the rear axle and trailer axles. More front weight will make handling better. RAS will help the rear springs handle and distribute the weight better as well and also improve handling. RAS will also help non loaded handling and reduce body roll.
  5. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

I would go with the weight dist. hitch. Right now you've got all the hitch weight 3+ ft. behind the rear axle and that actually takes wt. off of your steering axle. The WDH (set right) will put some of that wt. back on the front axle and move a little of the hitch weight back to the trailer. The WDH seems to make the rig ride and handle a bit better - just my opinion. Have pulled one of those old boxes a lot of miles with a 1/2 ton pickup (it had the tow package). I did almost nothing to the truck, just installed a brake controller and better mirrors. Bumper pull trailers are a PITA, that's why the popularity of 5 th wheel trailers- you have the trailer wt. slightly in front of the rear axle centerline. I still have to pull a bumper pull now and then with either my K2500 or the 2500 HD, I had sold my WDH with the box trailer and now kinda regret that, I'm going to get another one.
  6. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

The camper is just about all I pull. I haul more loads in the bed, (gravel, wood, ect.) but I would like to get to the point where I can take off and go camping on the weekends. After I replace the rear shocks, I think I would like to get the RAS system first, then get a WDH later. What WDH do you recommend? I usually get Reese, but money is getting tight and I don't know much about other brands.
  7. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

I can't remember for sure, but I believe mine was an EAZ-Lift. Never had a problem with it. Reese is the one most people recommend. I need to get one but I'm being a tightwad & hoping one will show up at an auction or Craig's list.
  8. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I towed a 29 foot-5,500 pound travel trailer 8,000 miles in 8 months with my 2011-Crew Cab. The truck was COMPLETELY STOCK. You will have no sag with a PROPERLY ADJUSTED weight distributing hitch. The front end of the truck should be no more than 1/2 to 1" higher than it was before hooking up the trailer when properly adjusted.

I use an equalizer hitch.
  9. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

Check the rear springs on your K2500. I had a 86' c2500 years ago that I used for towing a '99 Nash 19B RV. Over the course of 7 years about 2" of arch disappeared from the rear springs. While your truck will have some squat when the trailer is hitched, it shouldn't be much. One thing to check is the distance of the front fender lip (at the center of the wheel well)to the ground while the trailer is hitched and unhitched. If the nose of the truck rises more that 1" look to a weight distributing hitch.

On my 2011 3500 4X4 ext cab I always use a W\D hitch when towing the RV.
  10. nate_053

nate_053 New Member