Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Weight Loss Discussion

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Feb 12, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am looking for weight loss tips, tricks and advice. I need to lose about 70 pounds. I am only 5'-9" and currently 250 pounds. I would like to get down to 200 in about 6 months and down to 180 by year's end.

I know the basic stuff such as: drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, be active for at least 30 minutes a day, burn more calories than you eat each day, etc.

Anything else I should know or is there anyone here who has lost a lot of weight and have any good tips that worked for them?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would just say join a gym, the 24 hour gym works great for me because I can go after my family goes to bed at 10:30 pm. Plus it only costs me $10 a month. Eventually, I was drinking almost no beer because I went to the gym instead of sitting on the couch. I found that I lost weight (unintended) as long as I committed myself to run every night and eat better. Even if you don't/can't run, hop on an elliptical or bike for an hour a day. I found rather quickly that I felt better and had more energy running 3-5 miles a night, in turn that made me want to eat better. Just find some sort of cardio exercise that you enjoy (or don't mind doing) and commit to doing it every day for an hour or at least every other day at first. Another thing we did was get all the crap snacks out of the house. No more chips and the like. If I want a snack I grab a piece of fruit or a protein bar. Being broke helped also, if I have no cash in my pocket I am not stopping at a fast food place because I don't want to charge a cheeseburger.

3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I've lost 20 lbs this month, I'm in the same boat. 6'4" and 320lbs when I started.

Eat protien, a lot of it. invest in foods high in protien. and stay away from the center aisles in the grocery store, those are where a lot of the bad foods are located.

Another thing that may help is switching to gluten free. This actually will benefit you in the sense that your body struggles to process gluten.

Last but not least. Walk, jog, or run. I walk 5 miles a day. You don't need anything crazy like insanity workout or anything like that in order to lose weight. Those workouts are if you need results quickly.

what your looking for is about 5 lbs a week. thats a healthy number. You also want someone to help support you, like a workout buddy. You should still go to the gym, but dont worry about lifting the heavy weights. Do Low weight, High reps. This will build muscular endurance which will burn more fat.

4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Drink only water. Eat clean. Plain chicken, steamed veggies. Cardio, lots of cardio.

Or just make small adjustments to your normal lifestyle. Most diets fail because people consider them "diets". Don't consider yourself on a diet. Your just living a different lifestyle. A healthier one.

5. McClintoc

Primarily, I will be working out at home. I'd rather not join a gym, to save the money, but also because I live alone and have a dog. My dog is in his kennel all day while I am work. I walk him for 30 minutes in the morning before work and again for 30 minutes when I get home from work. I don't want to put him back in his kennel to go to a gym.

I do have a stationary bike that I have started riding while I watch TV. I try to pedal continuously for at least 30 minutes. I'd like to build up to an hour.

Also, I have cleaned out my fridge and pantry and I shop smart at the grocery store. Hell, I poured a bunch of perfectly good beer down the drain this past weekend so I wouldn't be temped to drink it. :( I also have a grocery list and stick to it and I stay out of the center aisles so I am not tempted to buy all the bad stuff.

6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Count calories, and cut out the empty calories, ie snacks and drinks. If you have a smart phone get the "lose it" app., it figures out a daily calorie budget and has a bar code scanner and a huge food data base. Just scan your food and it will deduct it from your budget. If you follow it you will lose weight. At your current weight you could be around 1900 calories and still lose weight. Key is to cut out the junk. Its not easy, there are temptations everywhere and food habits are hard to break, I've quit smoking and drinking but food is the hardest!

7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

seems like you've got everything just about right. only other thing I would do is count your calories. You can safely limit yourself to 1000 calories a day, and lose a lot of weight. this is hard for anyone, but can be done.

When dieting, ask yourself 1 question. "Can I live with this for the rest of my life?" dieting only works for the time you're on the diet. Once you are done, you will go right back to where you were at, if not worse. Look for a lifestyle change.

I only go out to eat once a month, sometimes twice if theres a special event going on. Don't tell yourself no. Just keep in mind what you're eating. Instead of getting my usual 16oz steak, potatoes and fries. I get a 12 oz, veggies and a side salad.

eat bad foods in moderation. And If you do eat dessert, make sure to do extra exercise.

Also what are your thoughts on gluten free?

8. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Dont think diet, think life style change, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, leave and chips, cookies, go for carrots or celery, with peanut butter , cut your normal portion in half, to speed up your metabolism eat 5 smaller healthy meals rather than two or three big unhealthy meals,think fish and chicken done healthy, and do some sort of cardio type exercise or a nice walk daily. Plenty of water, nuts and healthy grains with some fiber. Getting an app for your phone is a good move, keeps you pugged in and a buddy to support you will be a huge help. Just do your research as it really is a life style change you will be adapting to, 30 days to form a habit and 30 to break one, stick with it. hey good luck.

9. McClintoc

This will definitely be a lifestyle change as in, what I eat, how much I eat, and being active daily for the rest of my life, not just six months.

It's like they say: fitness isn't a destination, it's a journey.

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You didn't look like you were terribly out of shape at nascar last year. I guess I'm oblivious to this stuff sometimes. lol.

I'm in the same boat. I'm a little bit taller but i've got some extra lbs that are being packed on me. I'd like to get down about 40 lbs from where I'm at right now.

My dad lost over 100 lbs a few years ago. He went on a very strict 1200 calorie diet, which most everyone says is too little, but he talked with his doctor and just as long as he got a lot of fluids and ate a good mixture of foods he would be find. His heaviest was over 300 lbs, and he's not been over 190 lbs in the last 4 years. He averaged about 4lbs per week of weight loss.

I lost about 40 lbs a few years ago doing a very strict low-carb diet. The only problem with this diet is that you can not drink too much caffiene and different people's bodies handle weird stuff like cheese differently, where that will make you stall. Otherwise, it was nice, but at some point when I was skinny I decided to have some chips and salsa ... next thing you know I gained it all back.

Now, for the last 3 months I've been back in the gym working out and doing cardio. I think I've gained a few lbs of muscle back and I'm really about the same weight as I was before, but my clothes are fitting looser. I really should probably stick to a 2,000 calorie diet and workout cardio like 3x week for 45+ minutes.

Maybe we should do a contest to make it interesting???

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to check this out. lose it? I had Calorie Count, but they keep changing that software and it got hard to use with the last version they had.