1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Weird Electrical issue, please help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by steverocks6, Apr 14, 2012.

1. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

ok, i have a 2000 silverado 2500, my instrument cluster will randomly stop working, all gauges except oil pressure and volt gauge. i got a used gauge and just put it in and it has the same issue, one thing i noticed is when i press the reset button on the gauge it will work again, but i have to hold the button down, i can figure out most mechanical issues but when it comes to electrical i never know where to begin, so any ideas or answers are greatly appreciated. thanks guys

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When you said you got a used gauge and it had the same issue ... did you mean you got a single gauge and replace it ... or did you get a used cluster and replace the whole cluster?

3. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

the whole cluster, also more info of issues, the main reason the gauges dying is a issue to me is because it messes up my shifting and i loose overdrive so i basicly can't do highway speeds without being at a minimum 4krpms

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you checked the harness that plugs into the cluster to make sure none of the wires in it are loose?

5. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

yea, all of them are good, i just dont understand why pressing in the reset button will toggle them to come back on

6. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

anyone have any idea?

7. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bad grounds have a way of making whacky things happen. That's my guess.

8. LB'07-Z

LB'07-Z Rockstar 100 Posts

I had very similar issues in my 97 the cluster would stop working and the tranny would go into limp mode. Then the next time I cranked it, it would be normal, then bad, then normal and finally it stayed in limp mode and the cluster was shut down. I wound up needing a new wiring harness and it fixed my probelms.

9. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

im just confused with the fact that when they go dead if i press in the reset button on the cluster it will kick them back on but as soon as i let go of it they die back out. Where does that button feed into? besides cluster that i know but does anyone know electrically what happens when you press in the button? does the radio tie into the cluster? when i got my truck it did this maybe once every 6 months, then slowly increased to the point where it does it all the time, and ive noticed as this issue got worse the radio illumination started to slowly die out of the radio, now im at the point where the only thing that lights up is the actual display, its probably coincidence but just another idea i had

10. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Gotta be a loose connection. When you press it in it works. You could try to pull out the cluster, look at the connector to see if a wire or some wires are not all the way into the plug, or loose.