1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Weird Issue or NOT

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Ramdavis, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Ramdavis

Ramdavis New Member

Has any buddy ever tried to put there AUTO truck, 2006 chev silvy crew cab 5.3ltr or any other vehicle for that matter in 2 nd gear when stopped and then try to take off in second gear. Well my truck is very sluggish when doing this. I also tried this in 3rd gear but seems to be alright. It seems that the truck is actually in second gear is this normal. I may be wrong but shouldn't the truck still start off in 1st gear and just not go past second gear?
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

My 2000 Yukon behaves the same way as has all of my automatic vehicles. First and second are selectable, third and overdrive act as in drive and select whatever gear the tranny thinks apropriate. I have used second gear to start on ice and hard packed and slippery snow, a bit harder to overpower the available traction.
  3. txdutt

txdutt New Member

IIRC they're setup to do that if you're in slippery conditions like the previous poster said...
  4. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

second starts in second and third starts in first. It is actually a good feature up here in the rust belt.
  5. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

That's good info. I've never actually tried that and I've driven through snow a number of times...thanks!
  6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

If you feel that this is the result of some kind of concern, I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more assistance. I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like everyone else has said, this is normal behaviour. The transmission operates that way so that if you are driving in slippery conditions where less torque will get you better traction while accelerating you can select 2nd gear. This way the truck is lower in the rpm range at the same speed which means less power and less torque, which can save you some wheelspin and some time when trying to accelerate on ice. I know from experience driving my old regular cab long box 2wd truck in the winter (rear traction was a pretty serious issue in the winter with that truck)