1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Weird issue with my headlights while using my horn?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by JRD761, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Ok everyone, I have an unusual one for ya all..

I have my 2012 Silverado with 5,000 miles on it.

The other night while driving home, I had to use my horn. When I hit my horn, I realized my headlights cut off (for less than a second, but it was still noticeable).

When I got home, I started hitting my horn again, and I found that something is randomly cutting off my headlights when I hit my horn. It doesn't always happen; I'd say it happens 1 out of 10 times I hit the horn. Does nothing to my fog lights, it's only screwing up both of my headlights.

I'd love to take it to the dealer, but I have HID's on my headlights and fog lights and I'm sure they will blame the HID system. (Even though it uses all the stock wiring, and has no other wiring other than connecting into the stock plug). I might try this to throw in the stock bulbs and see if I get the same results..

Has anyone heard of this before?
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like a short somewhere. or maybe a relay in the wrong way.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

It's a poor ground problem, recheck the HID ground wiring, and, or, the grounding for the body panel that the horn/headlights are using.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

The horn and the headlights share a common ground path. Check for a bad ground. Not sure how things are on the nnbs but on the nbs there's a fairly small ground wire that goes to the inner fender and indirectly to the radiator top support that, if loose or corroded, could explain something like this. You can trace grounds by putting the - of your voltmeter on the ground terminal of your battery and probing around with the + of the voltmeter on the chassis with the headlights on -- if there's more than a quarter of a volt anywhere you have a problem.
  5. Kady

Kady New Member

Put the stock bulbs back in and see if it fixes the problem.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yup, go back to stock bulbs and test. If the problem persists then leave them in and take it in under warranty. If not, then your HIDs and/or relays for them are the issue.
  7. Project1

Project1 New Member

Sounds like a grounding issue. But i would try like everyone recommended and put the stockers back in and see what happens. Could be an issue with the kit perhaps?
  8. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

Do you have hid with ballasts or just bulbs? Either way i would wire them with a relay to separte the factory circuit in case of a surge or short. That way is also easier to remove when taking it in to the dealer.