1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

weird sound coming from engine compartment. need a little help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pat10, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

I was stopped at a light yesterday when I noticed a weird sound that almost sounds like a fuel pump going bad.
    When I accelerated it was still there but not as noticeable over road noise and such.
    Anyway I got home and sat idle in park hard to pinpoint where it was coming from almost like it was resonating throughout the whole truck.
    Got out walked around got under same thing it could be heard in the front rear cab like I said it was almost like the sound of a bad fuel pump but not as loud. Turned key off and engine gave of a quick purge sound so I tried one quick thing and pulled the drive belt off turned engine back on sound gone.
    I'm thinking one of the parts that uses the drive belt is going bad but witch one? I can't pinpoint any certain part its sounds like the noise could be
    coming from anywhere when the belt is on.

1999 suburban 5.7 125,000 miles
    any suggestions would be appreciated
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

With the belt off turn each pulley feeling for crunchy feelings and such.
  3. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

well I went out and did that turned the pulleys and no crunch sound
    but I did get a whine sound from the pulley at the water pump and I just replaced it a few moths ago.
    haven't had any issues other than that sound think its defective
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Did the part come with a warranty? Because if it did ask for a replacement one because the new one has a defect. Usually they will give you the new one then ask for the defective. Where did you buy it from?
  5. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

yes it has a warranty, I put the belt back on let it run and the noise still present of course and when i turn it off it lets out a faint purging whine. but when I rechecked the pulley with belt back off engine warm it would not make the whining sound by hand turning it. idk :confused: oh and btw I got the pump at autozone
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

It sure could be the pump, but re-check the idler and tensioner pulleys. they usually are the ones that fail.
  7. Pat10

Pat10 New Member

Yeah I'm gonna check those out to I was just going over my receipts and the water pump is about 9 months old. Just hate tearing into things and not being certain. But I guess thats just part of the game sometimes.