Weird stuff today....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

So, I had lunch with a friend I haven't seen for a while today and half way though lunch one of the drinks (no, no alcohol) actually slid across the table on it's own.

We kinda looked at each other and where like... Did you see that? I am glad you did or I would not have believed it myself....

Then we proceeded to see if we could get it to happen again (like a rut in the floor under the table). Well the table wobbled a little, but we could not get anything to just "slide across the table"...
    :shocked:

2. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sorry to bust your bubble, but It isn't weird, just physics. This happens all the time. Condensation running down the side of the glass wicks up under the glass. This forms a nearly frictionless wet "pad" under the glass. All that is needed to get it to move then, is a little motion of the table. Gravity does the rest.

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Exactly. And this is why most places will have a coaster or at least a napkin to put under your drink. That, and they don't want all that condensation ruing their wood tables over time.

4. Dana W

Wood? You can afford to eat at places that have wooden tables?

5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

They make tables out of wood. Must be a fancy place!

6. Dana W

Well, there is a crab shack in Frederick MD that I like, and they protect their wooden "tables" with brown paper.:lol:

7. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

My kind of place !! Even better when they have paper towels on the table for 'napkins".