weird vibrations 1999 suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ikemoney, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ikemoney

ikemoney New Member

my 1999 suburban has a strange problem. under braking, a strange vibration or pulsation occurs in the steering wheel. it feels as if the wheel is about to wobble off the hub. the problem started just after i had replaced some very warn out tires. i went from 255/70 15 to 235/75 15 but discount tire said that was not a problem. the shocks i replaced were completely dead and had no rebound at all and were probably that way for some time. while i was changing the shocks i wiggled the front end to see what was loose and thought that the pitman arm had some play it so i replaced it. the problem still occurs. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

If it is only while braking, get your rotors checked. Warped rotors will do that, it's a classic symptom. It was probably not noticeable with everything else that was in need of repair.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, rotors are a good bet. Much more noticeable if you are traveling downhill. The extra weight on the front end amplifies the vibration/oscillation.