GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

well this is almost to funny. 10,000watts and a 350amp alt can do damage.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by mudpuppy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

today i was testing some new 8inch mids and had the system at full tilt(150+db) and my voltage did a dead drop to 11.9vdc. my low voltage trigger shut the suburban down instantly. i popped the hood and seen something that i never expected. most people do 2or3 150-250amp alts. well i decided to do 1 350amp alt and be done with it. come to find out the stock chevy alt mount is not tough enough for a singer built 350amp alt lmao. im already mapping out specs for the new bracket system to build and between deer hunting and changing out dressing for my recent surgery this is going to be a fun weekend :)

Attached Files:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Wow! At least you find humor in it! The PITA is the fact that you have to pull the power steering pully and pump to change the bracket.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

SCORE
    -----
    Mudpuppy's audio system: 1
    GM: 0
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

OUCH!!!!!!:gasp: Get in touch with Tom at Ohio Gen they have brackets for our trucks for 2-3 Alt if I remember right..
  5. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

currently the repair plan is going to be to keep the current broken mount. im going to shave the ears off and design a v mount to go inside of the dip with 3/8x2inch hardened steel. back supports for that with 1/8 plate and then construct 2 split mounts to hold the alt to the v-mount. this will give me a little over 12sqin of mounting surface and will allow for add on mounts in the future if the power demand grows requiring more alternators. this is also subject to the results of the ndi that ill conduct before hand to ensure the remaining bracket still has structural integrity. if all else fails i can either redesign an entire bracket system for the pump and alt or upgrade to an aftermarket mount.

- - - Updated - - -

as for the pulley, not an issue. i have a real nice puller for those. i custom crafted an all aluminum ps pulley for my tbird sc ps pump and got a real nice puller to remove the old 1. if it goes that far ill also upgrade all of the pulleys to 8rib. i have enough 8rib pulleys stocked up to convert a few systems. thats kinda what i want to do anyways. as you can see in the pic the water pump and tensioner pulleys have already been changed out with 8rib wide pulleys.
  6. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

here is a pic of the new alt bracket. the bracket itself is done but a still have 1 or maybe even 2 more support arms to build yet. if this bracket breaks then that means i fell off of a cliff or got hit by a train, just something extreme. :)

Attached Files:

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I wish I could weld. I also wish I had the tools necessary to do bends and cuts in such materials. :)
  8. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

lmao no you dont. it took years of collecting tools, tons of money, countless hours and a medical record about 3inches thick from injuries to get to my point. feel lucky that your not a hard headed, boarder line ocd gear head like me.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I know what you mean. I can weld good enough to hold two pieces of metal together or weld a nut onto a broken bolt to get it out. I had a new lincoln arc welder that sat in my garage unused for 6 years. I sold it on CL to buy new golf clubs. I was able to use a wire feed, shears, and brakes at work when I needed.(I could bend a 3/8" bar stock on our hydraulic brake.) Now that I am a stay at home dad that option is gone. I have to say that at least one time a month I think to myself, "I wish I had that welder I sold". I have to take a few electives to finish my Mechanical Engineering degree, I may take welding just to improve my skills, I will be sure to kiss the instructors rear a little to ensure access to the welding equipment after the class ends.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I love that statement.... Can't wait to see it mounted up.
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Clearly you do not know me very well. :)