1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

well this wasnt planned... ~ Got Myself Stuck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by reggiecab2000, Jun 28, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

So basically i got stuck at 2:00 a.m., and was up all night tryin to get out of this mess.
    after 3 different friends tried snatching me out i finally got pulled out by a friend around 11:00 the next day.
    completely high centered in the rear
    photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg
    My friends tow strap snapped 3 times!, busted my left tail light, knocked out both reverse and running lamp bulbs, banged up my tailgate in 5 spots, knocked out my right license plate lamp, and knocked off my spare wheel lock cover, and that was just that rope tension that caused that damage, had it been the D-shackle hitting my truck, wouldve been a whole different story... good times
    photo (4).jpg

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No winch/moving blanket on the tow strap to absorb energy if it snapped??? :no:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like you learned an expensive lesson that could've easily cost more.
    Is that fresh water, brackish water, or salt water?
    If it's brackish or salt you better get busy doing a fresh water washdown underneath and checking the drivetrain for water intrusion.

4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Fun times can come with woes but you live and learn. Glad to see that you got it out but hoping that is fresh water like Tim was saying.

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

not to criticize to much, but thats one of those times 4x4 is handy. glad you got out and the carnage wasnt worse.

Alex

6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

nope surreal, i hadnt thought of that because i was hoping the straps wouldnt break, i wasnt worried about mine because it was a nice 30,000 lb strap, but my friends strap had two hooks on the end and only 10,000 tow strap and it was the stitching that ripped on those and actually one of the metal hooks did hit my truck i found out after i washed my truck today, it hit my left rear fender flare and put a bit of a crack, like pen hole sized not too bad. i definitely think after learning this lesson though i might invest in a blanket or something like you just suggested, however my friend who did pull me up carries around a couple probably about 3" or something d-shackles, those things are like 30 pounds! while mine are only 3/4" shackles which are still plenty strong, but his reasoning for them being huge was that if the tow strap breaks the shackles just drop like rocks and dont fling anywhere.

and yes it is salt water...
    i would say it was like that for approximately 8 hours.
    should i be worried about flushing and refilling my differential fluid?
    and if anyone else has suggestions, for other things i should check just lemme know, although these pictures may not help my case, i DO plan on keeping this truck as long as possible lol

oh and i mark this memory as the first time in college getting stuck in my truck other than a couple encounter back at home and at my land back home, which i still think is an accomplishment considering ill be a senior next semester, and texas a&m university:corpus christi is the "island" university. so im at the beach alot and i applaud my limited-slip it has been wonderful to me :)
    although there were just a few cosmetic dings and such i am glad to have friends who showed up at 4:00 a.m. to help me out, although i wasnt out till 11:00 the next day

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think it's crappy to have happened, but, if nothing else it sounds like you learned a few useful things from the experience...

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never been stuck in water. Nope, not me. Never happened and any photos that would show that are certainly photoshopped.

9. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If and when you do trade it in you can only hope they say the same they said to me:

"Wow, you really babied this thing!"

"Yes sir, never in a lake...not once!"

10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just check the diff and trans for murky looking fluid and give the undercarriage a real good fresh water rinse at the car wash.

The idea behind using a blanket or even a Jacket if you have one available is it slows the broken end of the strap down.
    Even without a hook or D ring on the end of a strap it can travel at real fast speeds with lots of force, enough to rip off an arm or leg, I've seen a tailgate on a truck with a strap imprint embedded on it, and I know a young man that after 5 years still has a strap mark across his back from a 5" strap that let loose after getting rubbed across the edge of a bumper while under strain.
    Hooks and D rings will fly too, normally not as far or fast as the end of the strap but imagine getting hit in the head with a 3lb chunk of metal flying at 10miles an hour, it'll leave a slight mark that probably wont buff out of your skull.