1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What age to start Fishing? Feedback wanted.

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Jan 21, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I remember my dad going off on hunting and fishing trips for a couple of days with a neighbor or family member, and being too young to go. I understand that the age for hunting tends to be much older, but what age to start a kid fishing?

We have taken my oldest boy out before and he's got his own basic "kid" rod/reel setup with a tackle box as well. I was probably 8 or 9 when I got my first real fishing gear with a decked out tackle box and a decent rod and reel.

However, we've really only done shore and dock fishing as we don't have a boat and I had planned to buy a house with more property so I can have a boat and trailer parked in the back/side of the house. Long story, we plan on getting boat this year.

What about younger children? Again, what age to start taking a kid shore fishing, dock fishing or open lake fishing in maybe a 16' ski boat?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I vote for as young as possible -- maybe 4-6. You want the kid to have enough sense around the water not to drown.

Maybe it depends on how "serious" you want to be, too. If you are after some quality father-son/daughter time and can be less concerned about catching anything, then age will be less important. If you want to have a "serious" trip, then maybe wait a couple more years. I can remember how frustrating it was for me and my dad when I didn't have the patience/skill set to handle his "serious" trips.

[sigh] I wish I had more free time to go fishing :( !
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

We've been taking my grandaughter on the water since she was 4 yrs old she's 6 now and cant wait for summer so we can get on the boat again.
    As long as you make them wear a PFD at all times and help them understand safety aboard the boat kids should be okay at around 3 to start going out.
  4. Gnhntn

Gnhntn New Member

Both of my kids were about 3 when they started. My son, now 19, still goes. My daughter, now 15, would go everyday if she could.
  5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I think any age as long as they'll listen & mind to what you tell them, so you can keep them safe when they're around the water. I always made mine wear her life jacket when we first got near the water & never let her take it off untill were done for the day.
  6. eyegore

eyegore Rockstar 100 Posts

Any age. Earlier the better but the most important thing is to have them catch fish. Doesn't matter how big or what kind. If they are not catching fish, then they will get bored and after time they will not get excited about it. A good farm pond that has plenty of Bluegills is a good starting place. A bobber and some mill worms will provide plenty of action. Good luck!
  7. silleffej

silleffej Member

I started my son out last year...he is now three. He loves it, we mostly fish for perch since they are easy to catch. We go out in the boat, or bank fish or dock, it doesn't matter. My father and I fish Bass Tourneys all the time, I think he started me out when I was 3 days old or so. lol Just teach them the rules and how to be responsible. And pay attention. When my son was two, we were out on the boat with his cousins and we got into some schooling white bass which is very fun! We would hook one then let the kids reel them in. Well my son was playing with the fish in the live wells while waiting his turn. We had to throw one fish back because he didn't measure and my son jumped in after the fish. No body noticed and he didn't cry out or scream or even act worried. The boat drifted probably about 30ft before I saw him and had to jump in to save him. He was just chillin' in the water floating around with his life jacket on. Didn't say a word the whole time, he probably thought it was fun. We also never told my wife (lol).
  8. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

I can't even remember the first time I went fishing, so I would say pretty damned young...If you can hold the pole, you're good to go!
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We have been taking my buddies kid along since he was 18 months.. he has his own kiddy poll, and they actually make little fish to entertain them some.. Also we have alot of lakes that have the bluegills, and perch that make for an eventful day. As said on a trip where you are going to get FISH.. then id say 5 or 6, that way they can hold the poll and understand things as you teach them. 2-5 are just for fun is when we are going just for fun. (i have 9 nieces and nephews and have been with most of them at all ages and this is the ballpark that we learned) \
    and we also had my buddies kid on a boat at 18 months.. just had a PFD on him and kept a very close eye but he had a blast and still does.
  10. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Okay, for my cousin's son's 2nd birthday, they gave him a kiddie pool. What is the first thing he does? Runs in the house, grabs his fishing pole and a chair, runs back outside and starts fishin' in his new pool. Obviously, you can start 'em fishin' quite young...