What amp on fuse for a electronic brake controller?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Bredin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Hey all,

I just found an electronic brake controller tucked in under my dash.
    I have a yellow fuse holder in the engine compartment that is sitting on a 16 gauge wire (I think) that goes to the controller and to the brake pedal.

However, fuse is missing...
    :fighting0040:

Any recommendations on what size fuse I would use?

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Start with a 10 amp fuse. 16 gauge wire likes 10 amp fuses.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree 10 amp for 16 gauge wire. I would trace that wire and see what it feeds before putting the fuse in. If it's feeding the brake controller, you need to upgrade the wire. 12 is the minimum, 10 is better. And you should use a circuit breaker rather than a fuse. 30 amp would be ok with the heavier wiring.

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Zactly. Most controllers use 2 fuses. Usually a 10 amp to run the controller and a 20 - 30 amp to control the trailer brakes.

5. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Well, this is the wiring that I've found:

Battery
    Inline fuse holder, empty
    splices into two wires, one runs down on the dr side either under the cab or to the pedal area. The second spliced wire runs from the inline fuse and into the firewall on the dr side, right around the master cylinder and under the dash.

I haven't been able to get down under the dash to trace the wires since I am in a shoulder/arm immobilizer for another week or so. Just sucks since I have a new brush guard, cats etc to install on the truck...

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, hang tight till you can look around and figure it out.