1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What antenna is this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Steelo1, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Steelo1

Steelo1 New Member

I just purchased an 07 SIlverado 1500, which came with Sirius XM. The problem is I can't get any AM radio reception, but satellite and FM work perfectly. I don't know if the attached picture is for AM reception or some sort of CB antenna. Does anyone know? Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Am Ant is mostly on or in the radio..
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

AM and FM usually share the stick antenna mounted on the fender (or, at least they used to, perhaps Enkeiavalanche has more up-to-date info).
  4. Steelo1

Steelo1 New Member

Hmm. I'll have to take a look in the fender. I have no idea why I can't listen to AM, but everything else is ok. I don't know a whole lot about this truck yet, but I definitely don't want to go to the stealership for a radio issue. Plus, I have no idea how much longer the satellite radio will be on. I have two stations on AM I listen to, with one also available on satellite. I am guessing the antenna in the pic is for 2 way.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You might get lucky and the previous owner purchased lifetime satellite radio. As long as you do not report to the company you might have it forever.
  6. Steelo1

Steelo1 New Member

I hope so. :happy:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow...do I feel like an idiot. The previous owner had removed the antenna mast located on the front fender. I was feeling around, and there it was. So, I just went to Autozone and purchased a new mast. Just like new lol.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen guy do the antenna delete before. I don't know what they use instead of the factory mount. Maybe [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] can tell us. I believe that he did the antenna delete on his truck.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Glad you got it resolved. That doesn't look like an OEM antenna. Maybe CB or HAM, but definitely not OEM.

Regarding lifetime satelllite radio - I'm a lifetime customer and what tends to happen is people like me leave it on the old vehicle until they have sat radio capability in a new vehicle, at which point we pay a fee and transfer it. Someone had 4.5 months of it free when I sold my SRT8. :)

Also, since Pikey brought it up, the antenna delete mod simply re-uses the factory antenna. Basically an "L" bracket is custom made and used to allow you to mount the OEM antenna pointed toward the front of the truck instead of up ... thereby placing it under the hood. It's like a 5 dollar mod unless you also want to get rid of the hole where the antenna used to stick up (which on NBS trucks can be done using an Escalade part that has no hole, there), in which case it becomes a 30ish dollar mode.
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

For NNBS trucks if you can't pull the antenna cord out a few inches you can flip the antenna upside down and bolt it back in. It works good. Just don't do what I did the first time a pull the cable out of the antenna mount
  10. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I might have to give that a try [MENTION=28925]ahmitchell1[/MENTION] . Currently I just took the antenna off completely. In the city my AM and FM reception is still fine. I lose it pretty fast when I'm on the highway, but I mostly listen to CDs or MP3s anyway.