what are some common problems with the 06 duramax?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by WhiteRam, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WhiteRam

WhiteRam New Member

m currently in the market for a 06 silverado 2500 crew cab short box, auto 4x4, im just trying to find out what to look for when shopping around.

what are some common problems with the trucks?

any trans issuses?

what about turbo and/or injector issues?

ive seen mpg figures anywhere from 10mpg-25mpg, what can one expect in reality?

what are the differences in models? (i.e. LT, LS, etc...) I have a general idea on the LT1, 2 and 3 but im still kinda confused on what the differences in each are.

what are the differences in motors and how can i tell which one is in the truck? (LLY, LBZ, etc...)

thanks in advance, i did a search to no avail.

hopefully with everyones help ill soon be a very proud owner of a duramax.

2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thank you for your interest in the 2006 Silverado 2500. The difference between the LS, LT, and LTZ would be the combination of options and features. The lowest would be the LS, then the LT, and finally the LTZ. The LT can sometimes be broken up even further with the 1LT and 2LT. In terms of the fuel economy, the 2500 is too heavy for the EPA ratings. This can lead to conflicting information about fuel economy. The 2006 Silverado 2500 has the following engine options: Vortec 6000 6.0L V-8 (LQ4), Vortec 8100 8.1L V-8 (L18), Duramax 6600 6.6L V-8 (LLY), and the Duramax 6600 6.6L V-8 (LBZ). You can tell which one is in the vehicle with the VIN. Position eight of the VIN represents the engine. U represents the LQ4 engine, G represents the L18 engine, 2 represents the LLY engine, and D represents the LBZ engine. I can also look into options and features for a specific vehicle with the VIN. If you would like me to look into this for you, please feel free to send me the VIN either on the thread or via private message. I hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

3. WhiteRam

WhiteRam New Member

thanks for the reply. ill pm you the vin of the truck that im presently looking into buying