Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What are the best gears for 35's/37's?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Buckhunter11b, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Buckhunter11b

Buckhunter11b New Member

Currently I have 35in Toyo OC MT tires on my Silverado 1500, but after I install my body lift and these tires wear out, I may get 37in tires. My question is what gears will work best for both, or is that even possible? I have been told you can run 4.56 comfortably on both but can anyone confirm that?

Attached Files:

• lift.jpg
      lift.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=37237]mfleetwood[/MENTION] is spot-on. Staying with 4.56's when you moved from 35's to 37's would result in better highway fuel economy on the 37's ... at the expense of power you had when on the 35's. Staying within the green band on the chart keeps you close to factory/OEM capabilities. You might consider 4.88's for your needs ... just realize that highway economy gets worse as you shorten the gears.

4. Buckhunter11b

Buckhunter11b New Member

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that I will also be towing a small bass boat behind the truck.. will 4.56 still be good for both sizes or only 35's?

5. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

I would do 4:88's same money better performance, so what you have to drive a little slower until you get the 37's. No brainer, just my 2 cents!!!!!!

6. mfleetwood

I'm not sure how heavy your boat/trailer are, if you have a lots of hills, or if you tow it often, but the 4:56s will be more sluggish.... but to what extent will depend on the variables. Or if your towing across flat land over a long distance, better mileage may be more appealing to you, so then the 4:56s will better suit those needs.

I'd suggest once you get the tires on, try towing with your current gears and if you are okay or can live with the performance, then no need to re-gear. IMO, it's not that big of a jump between those sizes and am not sure you will notice a significant enough difference for it to be worth the cost.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Given his tires size I think has 4:56s already, thus re-gearing would be an additional expense.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. SurrealOne

If he's already got 4.56's I can't see going to 4.88's either; that's a lot of money for very little gain. However, I got the impression from the original post that he might be searching for a new ratio to which to move.

[MENTION=33395]Buckhunter11b[/MENTION], can you clarify?

8. mfleetwood

Good call...yes, it is unclear as to what he currently has.

9. Buckhunter11b

Buckhunter11b New Member

Thanks for the replies. I currently have stock gears, I am planning on 4.56's . I would've installed then as soon as I got the tires but I was called up to deploy. I am getting gears when I return home, I just want to make the right decision. I don't have to go to 37's, my 35's are relatively new. Honestly, chances are I will stay with 35's add the body lift for additional clearance and get 4.56's. But I will be towing a boat over relatively flat terrain. Definitely no mountains in the Fort Benning, GA area. I really appreciate the help!

10. SurrealOne

4.56's are probably the right answer for you, then. (Mine go in next Thursday!)