What brake pads should i use? ATE? monroe? no name?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

I need to do the front brakes on my truck, i bought premium ATE rotors on sale $153 for the set. i am looking for suggestions on which shoes to use. the ATE shoes are on sale as well, but im worried about them squeaking if theyre too hard. im looking for a balance of quite and long lasting, more importantly QUIET!

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I went to Autozone and got the carbon metallic ones that they had. They were the most expensive ones, but they are really quiet and do not put out a lot of brake dust at all.

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have over 80,000 miles on my original pads, so you should maybe consider OEM pads. No noise and no dust.

4. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually just get a cretin grade for what im doing with the truck. I get hard pads most the time so they last and if i have to tow i got the extra stopping powah.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the SSBC Short stop system They use the Hawk pads.. They seem to stop the truck a lot better then stock did..

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I changed pads about 1 year ago -after driving for a while with the pad backing-metal-on the rotors in places.

Yes,I'm short of $$.
    A mechanic buddy said that the cheapest Autozone pads-$15.95- would actually give me the best stopping power.
    Well, he was right. They stop better than whatever was on before-something OEM equivalent that the PO had installed.
    The cheapo pads work well. I don't notice much dust.
    I'm guessing they wear more rapidly, but since they are cheap, who cares.
    Before my money problems I was considering those $135 EBC yellow pads with .6 friction oefficient (most claim .45 I think).

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  7. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

how much of a differance will the pads really make when trying to stop?

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you can find them performance frictions and Wagner thermo quiet are the only pads i put in my vehicles
    i know O'Reilly sells them