Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What brake pads should i use? ATE? monroe? no name?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

I need to do the front brakes on my truck, i bought premium ATE rotors on sale $153 for the set. i am looking for suggestions on which shoes to use. the ATE shoes are on sale as well, but im worried about them squeaking if theyre too hard. im looking for a balance of quite and long lasting, more importantly QUIET!
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I went to Autozone and got the carbon metallic ones that they had. They were the most expensive ones, but they are really quiet and do not put out a lot of brake dust at all.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have over 80,000 miles on my original pads, so you should maybe consider OEM pads. No noise and no dust.
  4. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually just get a cretin grade for what im doing with the truck. I get hard pads most the time so they last and if i have to tow i got the extra stopping powah.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the SSBC Short stop system They use the Hawk pads.. They seem to stop the truck a lot better then stock did..
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I changed pads about 1 year ago -after driving for a while with the pad backing-metal-on the rotors in places.

Yes,I'm short of $$.
    A mechanic buddy said that the cheapest Autozone pads-$15.95- would actually give me the best stopping power.
    Well, he was right. They stop better than whatever was on before-something OEM equivalent that the PO had installed.
    The cheapo pads work well. I don't notice much dust.
    I'm guessing they wear more rapidly, but since they are cheap, who cares.
    Before my money problems I was considering those $135 EBC yellow pads with .6 friction oefficient (most claim .45 I think).

Charlie
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  7. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

how much of a differance will the pads really make when trying to stop?
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you can find them performance frictions and Wagner thermo quiet are the only pads i put in my vehicles
    i know O'Reilly sells them