1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What brand brakes are you all using?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 99monguse, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Rockstar

My 01 Burb needs brake sout back...the squeelers are signing! I typically using OEM stuff but I pricing part store as well. I don't want cheap stuff though, as the cheap stuff usually warps quickly or rusts out. My burb is a 1500 4wd with 4wheel disk.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The most often Mentioned Brake pads are.....EBC.....Hawk....also what kind of brake pads do you Want.....Ceramic or Metallic??

Here are the Pro's and Con's of Both.....
    Ceramic and Metallic Brake Pads,

Pros of Ceramic:
    - In general, they last longer than semi-metallic
    - They can take slightly more abuse
    - They leave minimal brake dust, and the dust that is left is less noticeable-a nice complement to chrome and alloy wheels.

Cons of Ceramic:
    - Ceramic brakes need to warm up a little before they attain the grip of semi-metallic pads.
    - They're more expensive-sometimes considerably more. However, some brands sell competitively-priced ceramic pads.

Pros of Semi-Metallic:
    - Better grip than ceramic when cold
    - Often less expensive than ceramic

Cons of Semi-Metallic
    - Shorter life
    - Brake dust is much more apparent

3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

May I also add that if you are not using good rotors those ceramic pads will eat them up. You will be replacing rotors more than usual, but if you are using decent rotors you will not run into this. At least in my experience I do not get a lot of rotor life using ceramic pads.
  4. mylo92

mylo92 New Member

I have Brembo Calipers and disks on my 95 Burb
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I got new rear brakes this summer and put on napa pads and rotors. So far I think they are going good. I've got a little squeal so I think its time to change the fronts.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had used ceramic pads for years, and just finally switched back to metallic pads. As stated above they tear rotors up fast, I warped all of my rotors within 20,000 miles and the pads were like new. I normally use duralast junk from autozone, which I know suck but it's what I can afford. I have been really wanting to try the EBC stuff, maybe when summit racing has another sale.
  7. LGSONE

LGSONE New Member

I have ran the EBC 7000 series Green stuff pads and while they are not the cheapest by any means I have had ZERO issues, even with a problem child Jeep WJ and some old hot rods that had crap brake systems on them. I've had mechanics who test drove my 08 LTZ comment on the brakes having a lot of "bite".

I've had thier rotors and pads on at least 5 cars and you tend to just stick with stuff that works after you do the exercise of trying all the bargins out.

Cheers
    LGSONE
  8. 99monguse

99monguse Rockstar

I have been using GM or Delco ceramic brakes with good luck, but like I said I also get the GM or Delco rotors too. Delco has a couple different rotors you can choose from: the more expensive OEM GM rotor, Durastop (mid level) and the cheap Advantage. The Advantages are VERY affordable but I think are China made; therefore, won't last very long.

I tend to stay away from Autozone, only because I've never had good luck with their brakes but I have used the higher quality Napas with good luck.

I'm just curious as to what you all are using. Do any of you have the park brake cable hanging below the rear axle on the drivers side? Mine is hanging like 2-3 inches below the axle. I tied it up with a zip tie but it's still not where I'd like it to be.
  9. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I've just got stock brakes .....would like to upgrade rotors (red) and paint my drums to match !!!
  10. Prospect62

Prospect62 New Member

Well...if you have a decent amount of disposable income burning a hole in your pocket, you can go blow money on Hawk or EBC or whatever ceramic pad and "drilled rotor" the latest ricer fad is.

Or...

Just go to Napa and get new pads, rotors and disc brake bushing kits w/ lube. Just don't buy the cheapest thing they stock and you'll be good to go.