GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

What budget friendly mods have you done to your truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by yotchie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. yotchie

yotchie Member

just wanting to see how resourceful some fellow chevy owners are. what are some cheap simple mods you have done that dont break the bank.

for me so far i have gotten ventshades. and i had the 4x4 decal on the back changed with something a little more me lol. looking for ideas and some general pointing in the right direction lol
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

What Budget LOL!?!

Well I looked through all of my albums, and I only found one thing that was budget friendly for anyone on here. It also happens to be my best and most friendly mod I have done on any of my trucks, it had to be my home made halo's for my headlights. Here's a list of stuff I needed for this mod.

Home Depot

2- 36" acrylic blind adjusters $1.99 each

Radio Shack

4- 4004 diodes $0.97
    8- 4mm white LED's $20 for all 8
    4-330 watt resistors $0.97

Total Cost- $28.00 for both headlights

Basically just cut the acrylic rod into two pieces of equal length, and put them in the oven and softened them up enough to bend easilly. Then I formed them around objects such as soup cans or drinking glasses, and then snipped the ends of them off to leave for the LED's. They look just like the factory one's except they cost hardly anything to make, and it was fun at that! Here's a pic of them fresh out of the oven

[​IMG]

Those are the miniature version of the halo's, here are my one off 6" halo's that I put on my off-road lights behind my grille. I have never seen anything like this before, which Is why I did it. Cost me about $20 to make the set of 2 halo's, but I thought they were cool as hell! I am going to make a set of blue one's for my S-10 next summer, check them out!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member

paintmatch the bowtie. Theres a write up on it here. Looks great and cheap too.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member

I agree, paint matched bowties look great. You could also debadge or paint match your lettering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

One of the cheapest mods I did is actually one of my favorites! $40.00 for paint and $8.50 for the Silverado decals!

[​IMG]

Very easy to do and I think it looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 New Member

I colormatched my whole grill. Maybe $20 + 3 hrs labor.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
  7. J_chevyman

J_chevyman New Member

RE: smoked tail lights

Smoke the tail lights, I got the kit on Ebay for like $15, free shipping..then paid a guy who tints windows to do it for $20...in total it was $35 for both...I just got mine done..check it out on my pics :great:
  8. CJRM112

CJRM112 New Member

Get a heat gun and heat up the seals around your headlights and you can take the orange reflectors out then seal them up cost like 30 bucks heat gun costs like 25 at kragens and 5 bucks for the clear caulk.
  9. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Haven't done it on the truck yet but on the you can also paint match the engine cover, fuse box cover, any interior trim that you want, the bow ties on the wheels. Did all this and then some on my Cobalt ss/sc. Got a lot of compliments on it. I think it cost all of $50 for materials: sand paper, primer, alcohol pads gm spray paint, and clear coat.
  10. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member

Here's a $20 mod: A Lowe's/Kobalt PCV oil catch can that all GM V8's could use. Simple to make and hook-up.[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

are you talking about taking the reflectors out on the parking lights on a 99-02? i had posted a thread wondering if that was possible. i inow it is on 03-07s, butwas unsure about ours. if you have done it, i might have to do this mod soon.
  12. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member

Removed lower air dam after installation of leveling kit. Gave it the illusion of being a higher lift.

Cost: $0
    Time: 5 minutes

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
  13. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

No need for a Heat Gun. Just use a oven and heat it to about 175-200 degrees. You have to buy silicone though. Im currently removing the orange reflectors out of my headlights and parking lamps. The silicone cost me $12 for 2 packs at autozone. Its Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive.
  14. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

"All On High" Mod - Two 1N914/1N4148 Type Diodes ($2.59 for a pack of 50 Diodes)
    - Makes all 3 sets of lights (Highs, Lows & Fogs come one with the high beams)

Full Time DRL Mod - Two 1N914/1N4148 Type Diodes
    - Keeps my DRL's on all the time

Example of my All On Hig and FTDRL mods:
    [​IMG]

"All On Brake/Turn" Mod - Four 6A 50V Rectifier Diodes ($2.49 for a 4 Pack) & Two 12V Relays
    - Changes my taillight function from this
    [​IMG]

To This:
    [​IMG]

Amber DRL's - SilverStar Amber Bulbs
    - Changed to amber from the white/yellow stock bulbs. Around $6.00 a pair
  15. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

Just make sure you paint them right and don't do it half a**..... when i bought my last truck they weren't painted good and i had to sand them all back down and repaint them...
  16. Stealth

Stealth New Member

just finsihed a mod for my S10 where i built a custom intake. 5o bucks for the air lfiter, and i parid for nothing else. also put on footwheel lights in my cab for 30, and painted my dash for 12. it looks okay, espeically since it was my first attempt. good thread man
  17. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 New Member

Sent you a PM. I'm interested in this too!!
  18. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

The kit I used is a brush on epoxy based paint, so it's pretty durable.
  19. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member

That looks great Adam! I did that on my '99 Corvette. Really makes the wheels pop!
    [​IMG]
  20. CJRM112

CJRM112 New Member

No you can't do the parking lights on a 99- 06 chevy but I just bought clear ones for like 20 bucks on eBay