What budget friendly mods have you done to your truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by yotchie, Dec 12, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. yotchie

yotchie Member 100 Posts

just wanting to see how resourceful some fellow chevy owners are. what are some cheap simple mods you have done that dont break the bank.

for me so far i have gotten ventshades. and i had the 4x4 decal on the back changed with something a little more me lol. looking for ideas and some general pointing in the right direction lol
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What Budget LOL!?!

Well I looked through all of my albums, and I only found one thing that was budget friendly for anyone on here. It also happens to be my best and most friendly mod I have done on any of my trucks, it had to be my home made halo's for my headlights. Here's a list of stuff I needed for this mod.

Home Depot

2- 36" acrylic blind adjusters $1.99 each

Radio Shack

4- 4004 diodes $0.97
    8- 4mm white LED's $20 for all 8
    4-330 watt resistors $0.97

Total Cost- $28.00 for both headlights

Basically just cut the acrylic rod into two pieces of equal length, and put them in the oven and softened them up enough to bend easilly. Then I formed them around objects such as soup cans or drinking glasses, and then snipped the ends of them off to leave for the LED's. They look just like the factory one's except they cost hardly anything to make, and it was fun at that! Here's a pic of them fresh out of the oven

[​IMG]

Those are the miniature version of the halo's, here are my one off 6" halo's that I put on my off-road lights behind my grille. I have never seen anything like this before, which Is why I did it. Cost me about $20 to make the set of 2 halo's, but I thought they were cool as hell! I am going to make a set of blue one's for my S-10 next summer, check them out!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member 100 Posts

paintmatch the bowtie. Theres a write up on it here. Looks great and cheap too.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree, paint matched bowties look great. You could also debadge or paint match your lettering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

One of the cheapest mods I did is actually one of my favorites! $40.00 for paint and $8.50 for the Silverado decals!

[​IMG]

Very easy to do and I think it looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 New Member 100 Posts

I colormatched my whole grill. Maybe $20 + 3 hrs labor.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
  7. J_chevyman

J_chevyman New Member

RE: smoked tail lights

Smoke the tail lights, I got the kit on Ebay for like $15, free shipping..then paid a guy who tints windows to do it for $20...in total it was $35 for both...I just got mine done..check it out on my pics :great:
  8. CJRM112

CJRM112 New Member

Get a heat gun and heat up the seals around your headlights and you can take the orange reflectors out then seal them up cost like 30 bucks heat gun costs like 25 at kragens and 5 bucks for the clear caulk.
  9. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member 100 Posts

Haven't done it on the truck yet but on the you can also paint match the engine cover, fuse box cover, any interior trim that you want, the bow ties on the wheels. Did all this and then some on my Cobalt ss/sc. Got a lot of compliments on it. I think it cost all of $50 for materials: sand paper, primer, alcohol pads gm spray paint, and clear coat.
  10. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member 100 Posts

Here's a $20 mod: A Lowe's/Kobalt PCV oil catch can that all GM V8's could use. Simple to make and hook-up.[​IMG][​IMG]