1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What budget friendly mods have you done to your truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by yotchie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. SethroSilverado

SethroSilverado New Member

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 ext 4x4 Stealth Grey in color, and here's a list of the mod I've done for under $100:

-Debaged emblems and door mouldings $10 in equip
    -Blacked bowtie free with paint laying around
    -Blacked out all three break lights $12 for the spray
    -Blacked out corners and smoked headlights $12 for the spray
    -Roll up Access tonneau cover free from family member. Then cut down for $100 to fit with took box
    -Low mount Delta tool box painted black $100
    -LED strip under headlights that cycle with turn signals $15
    -LED fire strip $15
    -LED blue door lights $10
    -LED white map and dome lights $15
    -All instrument and dash lights (radio, 4x4, dimmer, windows, ect) turned blue LED $50 (VERY tedious work)
    -LED reverse lights $20
    -ReadyLift leveling kit $100 (Installed myself)
    -20% tint and 5% brow $90
    -Color matched tow hooks, door handles and tail gate handles $25
    -Plastic truck bed liner $20
    -Removed step bars, mud flaps, and rear vent visors for free
    -Shaved anntena mod for free
    -Tow mirrors $90
    -Bug deflector $60
    -55w 10k HIDs in head lights and fogs for $80
    -HI4 mod for free

Things over $100:
    -34" General Grabbers A/T2 (Minimal front end trimming)
    -20" XD Monster rims (Ordered)
    -CB radio $120
    -True dual exhaust $300

Thinking about painting the chrome of front and rear pumpers to color match? Has anyone done this?
    Also working on homemade bull bar, with possibly 4 aux lights. and maybe, just maybe roof basket with aux lights? Also going to do this DIY mesh grille insert. Seen online and looks fairly easy and cool. Black of course. Any questions, go ahead and ask!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Some of my budget friendly mods are:

$30 large floor mats
    $40 for 4 smaller floor mats
    $3.99 for velcro to attatch a clock/inside/outside thermometer that I have from my dads jeep.
    $10 for a 12v outlet extender and 3 12v outlet strip so the back seat has 12v outlets.
    $11.99 for aux under bumper lights
    $8.99 for my Navigator back up light
    And so much more that I can't remember... I love cheap mods that are feel worth more than you payed.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As long as you don't go over the budget you set for yourself, aren't all mods budget-friendly? (Duh...)
  4. Conlan Rose

I think the point was mods that were cheap and could easily be done with out being considered an expense. i.e. my 12 dollar lights vs. 150 dollars in cable and lugs for my big three upgrade.
  5. SurrealOne

[MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION]:
    Yea, well, look at Brandon.o's post where he mentions 20 bucks in material and 3 hours of labor. That's not cheap -- at least not if people value their time (time is money, after all ... especially in this society) -- and thus not necessarily budget friendly. But it was 'budget friendly' to him based on how he valued his money and his time.

What I'm getting at is that 'budget friendly is a very relative term. I'm a good example -- all of my mods have been 'budget friendly' for me ... but other people might not find them friendly to their budget ... which makes posting about it kinda strange since there's an underlying assumption that we all perceive budget friendliness the same way -- when we don't. (My mods would NOT be budget friendly, to me, if I were, say, in college, unemployed, etc. Again, it's relative!)
  6. Conlan Rose

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] I totally understand. To me mods like yours would be major expenses, not very budget friendly, but me installing the aux lights I did was cheap and easy there for budget friendly for me. (in total including wiring, relays and such it only cost $60 and took several hours of my free time)

This thread would be better if it were named something like: Under 50 dollar mods or something of that nature.
  7. SurrealOne

Agreed....
  8. Lucas.Garcia

Lucas.Garcia New Member

I out some chrome door handles and a chrome fuel door cover. My truck is black and I love the way it looks. The handles were around $70 and the fuel door cover was like 30. Easy install and I think it really made my truck look mean.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sorry about that. Your post got hung up in our anti-spamming tool due to your low post count and link. All are able to view now. Please finish up your profile/signature info and post up a couple of pics and then once you've made a few posts, you will be able to use some links.
  10. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

agree.......budget friendly depends on someone's circumstances and views...
    Brian
    :glasses: