1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What cable is this and what does it do?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bigburb, Jan 15, 2010.

1. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway - What does this cable do?
    [​IMG]

The reason I ask, is because this is what's on the end of it. It's just a mangled mess of bare wire:
    [​IMG]

Does this have anything to do with the way it shifts? I'm just trying to figure out why my 1-2 shift is so firm and tight while the 2-3 shift is relatively sloppy at times.

And while I'm at it I might as well ask - If I adjust my TV cable at all from the position it was in when I bouight it, I cannot open the butterflies more than about 3/4 throttle. I didn't think to check that before I adjusted it, but I only moved it about 1/8" towards the carb, so it may not have open all the way before I adjusted it either.

Any thoughts on all of this?
  2. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sabotage!!! Sorry man, i have no idea other than a signal cable of some sort. are you running any mods on your truck right now, any intake or other mods that might affect the carb?
  3. bigburb

No, it's all stock lol. I mean the motor might be rebuilt, but as far as that goes everything is still bone stock.
  4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, odd. have you tried getting a manual for it?
  5. bigburb

DOH! I just remembered I have one of the Haynes manuals for the 88-98 trucks :sign0017:

Hmm... I'm not really seeing anything about whatever cable it may be. Either I'm not looking hard enough, or Haynes just doesn't have it lol.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Tranny kick down cable??
  7. bigburb

I thought that was the top cable that crosses behind the cable I'm trying to identify? I could be wrong about that though lol.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well it is easy to follow the throttle cable back to throw the firewall and to the pedal, not to mention that if you can still give it gas from the pedal then we know its not that. The bottom wire should be the return spring for the throttle body?
  9. bigburb

I'm pretty sure it's not the throttle cable. This cable, when you open up the throttle, just seems to uselessly slide in and out of the hole. If I open the throttle all the way and let it close real quick I can hear my gas pedal bouncing back up. I think the thottle cable is the one that is mounted to the top of the bracket on the TB and goes into the middle of the other bracket, if that makes sense.
  10. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

'91 K1500 would have a 700R4 auto, right?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of three cables that would attach to the throttle plate: pedal, transmission kickdown cable (if it is indeed a 700R4), and cruise control cable.