1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What cam should I do?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Chad513, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Chad513

Chad513 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic that I just dropped a 5.3L into. My next upgrade is going to be 4.11 gears. Everyone tells me I'm going to lose a little high end speed so I wanted to do a cam after that so I could get that back up. What type of cam should I get for what I want? Please and thanks,

-Chad
  2. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

well look at it this way, yea ull loose " top end" " you wont be able to do 145 mph" but ull still be able to do 130. but when will u ever need to do that? also our drive shafts arnt ment to turn that fast and those speeds... not a good thing to do. now as far as a cam what are your goals? its not goint to give u more mph it will how ever adjust your power band. if ur willing to get a stall converter id say run a 220 cam if not get like a 216/218 low lift...
  3. Chad513

Chad513 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well I might of stated that wrong. I want like high RPM speed. I have 3.23 gears in the truck now and when I drop in the 4.11 gears I will lose the take off from going 70. So I was wondering how i could get that back with a cam.
  4. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

well actuall upping you gearing like going from a 3.73 to like a 4.11 or 4.56 will actually get you from 0-70 faster but basically will rev out quicker. if your not planning on applying boost to you truck id say 4.11 gears would be great.