What can be done to a 4.3 V6 for beeter mileage?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by RatRod, May 8, 2008.

1. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2008 Silverado with the 4.3 V6 and there isnt a tuner built for it yet so I was wondering what else could be done to get better mileage?

2. RatRod,

To gain better gas mileage on your Silverado, let the engine breath better. Replace the old intake box with an aftermarket one because theres no crimps in the tube, and its a higher flowing filter - but be sure to make sure its a dry filter, and not a oil based air filter because you dont want to end up placing the Mass Air Flow Sensor down the line. I've seen it too many times. You also want to throw headers on there you do gain better power, but your also opening up the exhaust ports to flow much better too. And of course if you match it with a Borla Exhaust, you'd be top of the line (Until the programmer then you'll be top of the heap)...! You'd see a great gain on performance and not much, but a definite difference on mileage. If you have any questions feel free to email me at Bryan@BrodysSpeedEquipment.com

Remember:

Cold Air Intake
    Headers
    Exhaust

-Bryan

Brody's Speed Equipment

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

there are some custom performance shops that are specificly for v6 engines one is supersix.com if its still around, this and other similiar shops can do reflashes for the computer if you send it in. If you search you can find some that will reprogram a SC 3800 for a five speed and to be put in a cavalier, so they chould be able to do yours or give you suggestions, or just do the bolt ons that are available and a low budget ignition upgrade

4. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I would only say a cat-back exhaust, and a cold air intake. A custom tune would be nice, but the first two defiantly. Anything else could be a waste of money.

5. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Well, the prolem is that it normally takes quite awhile before any of those mods pay off in term of MPG gains. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that you'll even see an increase in MPG. Might gain, lose, or have no change at all.

As I always say, mod for performance, not MPG. The best bet is to do all of the standard things that have been said a million times... check tire pressure, maintenance, drive slower, reduce weight, etc.

6. kf4wsn

kf4wsn New Member

My Wife has a 08 1500 WT long bed that has got as high as 27 mpg on steady hwy around 15 city, it has a 3.4L V6 3:42 gears magnaflow single in dual out 3.5" tips and a drop in K&N

7. EKperformance

EKperformance Member

i know im gona hear about it but i like K&N products, take the oil is evil lightly. i have had a K&N in my truck for over 100,000 miles with no problwms and in my previous 2 trucks with no problems, as far as your truck goes i recomend an exhaust , i have flowmasters, but what ever your sound is will be fine, and dont waste money on TB spacers. headers work great and a new MAF sensor will help too. also there is an air diffuser in your throttle body, you can cut it off with a dremel or buy one already shaved. s-10crewcab.com has a great right up on it. also a tune will help alot, like westers or pcm4less or any of the good places. i own a 4.3 in a 2002 silverado, its 2wd and i get 18 city 23 highway, mods are in my sig.

8. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Do headers make that much of a difference for the 4.3? I was looking at the JBA shorties but I wasn't sure I wanted to drop $600 for a small difference.

9. kf4wsn

kf4wsn New Member

Sounds like you have a set up like I did in my wife's 08 Silverado once we put the cat back,K&N filter changed over to synthetic oils our best record MPG was 27 on the highway still only gets 16-17 in the city.

2008 Silverado long bed 4.3 V6 3.42 gears Auto trans
    Cap on the back
    MagnaFlow single in dual out with 3.5" SS tips

10. Akula682

Akula682 Rockstar

well the easiest way to increase your MPG's is to keep your foot out of the injectiors.