1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What car do you think I should get

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Nathan Kenney, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Nathan Kenney

Nathan Kenney New Member

Okay so my brother is going to be trading in his 2006 chevy silverado crewcab 4x4. My brother would let me have it for 10,000. And it only has 93,000 miles on it. It has all the maintance up to date and is lifted and has 20inch tires on it. The only thing it needs right away is tires which are 300 a piece. I am also looking at a 2005 ford expedition eddie bauer with 151,000 miles on it. He wants 9,000 for it and gave him a 500 dollar deposit and he said if I dont buy it he will keep 250 of it. Dont know the maintance history but from what I know it needs nothing besides the tailgate being repainted. I was wondering which one you think I should get.
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

The 93,000 mile Chevy at $10,500(since you will lose the deposit) is the better deal.
    151,000 miles is plenty of miles and the 5.4-3 valve heads- is nothing to brag about.
    You can always wait a bit on tires if short of $$.
    Plus you don't know the maintenance history-that is worth quite a bit to know it was well maintained.
    Charlie
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

For the $1250 difference, I would probably go with the silverado. It's newer, lower mileage, and you know the history. If the cost of tires in the near future will be an issue, that could be something that would stop you, but that's the way I would go. It is my experience that where I live anyway, 150,000 mile vehicles tend to not be in the greatest shape to be reliable or worry-free to own, especially if you don't know the history.
  4. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a vehicle with so many miles unless it was an old muscle car or a "classic" truck; I mean both the silverado and expedition in this case. $9,000 for a FORD with 151k miles? That's ridiculous. Not to sound snarky, but do you just look at the outside condition of a vehicle and it's age to determine value? My '03 Silverado has 10k miles less than the '06 you're looking at and it's three years older.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Been a while since you went used truck shopping, Metaluzc? Demand on used vehicles has been high ... which has driven used vehicle prices up -- especially trucks given how expensive brand new ones are, now. (45k for a loaded Sierra LTZ 4x4?! OWW!). It also depends on what part of the country you're in, I suppose. In good shape and only needing tires a 2003 silvy with 100k miles on it will list for ~10k asking from a private seller, here, and the 06 would likely be more like ~13k asking from a private seller. (Remember, no one pays asking price, by the way...) I just checked and those numbers are right in line with private asking prices on the local Craiglist, here...
  6. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Well since buying my truck I have only bought one other vehicle in the past three years and that was a $1,000 '96 civic for a daily driver/gas saver (30+mpg). I bought my truck for $11,995 almost three years ago with less than 65k miles on it, so that's what I base my pricing on. I understand with the economy that "new" vehicles aren't being bought as much and people are buying used (supply and demand) but I just think that is a lot of miles for that price, just my opinion.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

The Ford Expo rides like crap It's top heavy and has Pour MPG's in the long run it will cost you more then the chevy....
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Metal
    You bought your 2500 at the right time-2008- .
    In 2007-2008 gas was about $4.00 and 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton vehicles were a very tough sell.You could buy a 60,000 mile 2004 Suburbans- LOADED -for as little as $10,000-FROM A DEALER-pickups were cheaper.
    Granted work trucks probably didn't drop as much as 1/2 tons- but they dropped plenty because many folks buy 3/4 tons for recreation-tow a boat-offroad -camping etc.

$10,000 for a 95,000 2006 4X4 CREW CAB- probably power seats/mirrors lotta "stuff" is a fair price-knowing the maintenance history(your brother won't lie conceal stuff the way a normal provate seller dealer would) would be worth $2000 to me.

Surreal is dead on-poor economy means used "stuff" gets a good price. Who is going to pay $45000 for a new truck???

I don't know much about the Ford-other than the 5.4 3 valve dissappointed many owners in the first few model years because it was gutless.
    I would take Enkei's word for it that it is a POS ride wise.
    Sometimes things like a poor ride aren't obvious on the quick test ride you'll get since the owner will select a smooth road for the demo.
    The Chevy is the better deal.
    Don't suppose you can bargain your brother down a bit?? One problem with buying from family-you usually can't low ball them too much- makes for 20 years of bad thanksgivings!!

$10,500 ( you'll lose the deposit) is a good price for a know truck
    Charlie
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

The devil you know is the Silverado and the maintenance on it is up to spec, which is critical. The Ford may have more luxuries, but with that many miles and without knowing the maintenance history, the Chevy is the better deal. I had an Expedition before my GMC, and love my Sierra much more than the Ford. The one plus for the Ford is the side mirrors, but you can always upgrade the Chevy's. The only other consideration is if you need a third row of seats. I never used mine, but if you need it, that might play a factor. Still the Ford's mileage concerns me.
  10. Nathan Kenney

Nathan Kenney New Member

Yeah I am only seventeen so I wont be needing a 3rd row seat very much and a crewcab can already hold 6 people if need be. Here is a link to the expedition and the silverado. http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/2704694103.html

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/cleaningman94/silveradosiderear.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/cleaningman94/silveradofrontside.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/cleaningman94/silveradoside.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/cleaningman94/silveradorear.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn297/cleaningman94/silveradofront1-1.jpg