Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What car would you use for a 24 hour endurance race?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by TELORVEHC, Jan 31, 2011.

1. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Last night I watched an episode of top gear where they entered into a 24 hour Le Mans style race with an 04 BMW 330d, bought for £11k ( about 17k USD) and built in just 10 days at the Top Gear shop. It was a great episode and the car performed well considering what it was up against ( Aston Martins, Viper, Corvette etc.) and also considering that they crashed once, blew the turbo, fuel pump and clutch, amongst other things lol. So here is my question to y'all: What car would you buy for 17k or less (before mods) for use in a 24-hour endurance race and why?

2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Alfa Romeo 159 .. I own a 156, clean fast machines. With a little work they can push 180mph. Yes, thats with a v6. Italians do make some nice cars my friends. Though, I would love to be an owner of a corvette if I could only afford one :)

3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i did a 10 hour race n my cobra when i had the supercharger ported,i heat soaked it pretty good, needless to say i HAD to put a kenne bell on it and run all new cooling system for the engine,trans and rear end since the IRS likes to heat up. my buddy has a nice little private track on his farm we did a good 12 hours of driving and not once did i get to hot, not to mention just got all new baer brakes, delirum bushing and built a custom roll cage cuz the 6 point scared me. i got the car for 10,000 with 32,000 miles and a electrical problem, bout a whole new harness and it was fixed

4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think I'd go with a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300SDL Turbo Diesel. I don't have too much longevity experience with various cars but this one earns quite a lot of respect with me. My grandmother has had hers since the day she drove it off the show room. It has been driven from Texas to Alaska (and back) two different times and it still drives like a dream. It's built like a tank and although the start off is a little slow, after about 2nd gear, that thing flies! Given the 17k cost limit, I'd stay way under budget with this car.

Again, that's based on my limited experience with endurance tested vehicles.

5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'd have to go with an around 2000 corvette with an ls1 motor. With minor suspension and a turbo that ls1 motor can run 800hp all day.

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I don't think it's possible to buy a winner for $17,000 Telorvehc, but if I could get a beat up GT-40 for $17K , & you put no dollar limit on mods, I'd go with that.....

7. 2010camaro

2010camaro New Member

Come on guy's only one chevy????? Older vets , camaros ??? Would love to get the chance to do a 24 .... :)

8. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

I would take an 01 dmax. Then do what Dmitri Millard did.

9. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, I should have been more specific about the mods, not sure how much the budget was on Top Gear but certainly not very high. The guys on Top Gear obviously didn't win but they came in 3rd in their class and finished in a decent place. Here is the clip from the episode------>http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/24

10. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

So when can you send me my $200K check for my mods?? :)