1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do I need to know about rack and pinion installation on a 2wd silverado

Discussion in 'Lowered & Urban Suspension' started by PantheraUncia, Oct 26, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So the boot on my driver side has been leaking fluid and it is getting worse. I took the truck in for a balance and alignment and they showed it to me and it is leaking more than last time I was in. I can keep topping off the power steering fluid for a while , but at some point its going to need to be rebuilt/replaced.

Merchants told me a replace would cost less and take less time (labor) because they come in a few pieces vs a rebuild where they would have to take mine apart and rebuild it.

They quoted me $392.99 for the part and 9 "units" of labor totaling $209 for labor. I went ahead and ran by the dealership next (so I could get the GM part numbers and see what I could get the parts for (doing that today).

The thing is I have never replaced a rack and pinion..... So I would like all the info I can get so I am not surprised by something if I do it myself or can recruit a friend or 2 to help me do it.

Are there any special tools I would need also if I am not taking the thing apart, but buying new parts and swaping out the old ones?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It should be pretty straight forward. Remove the outer tie rods from the knuckle, remove the two lines going to the rack. You might want some line wrenches for that. Pull the bolt out of the intermediate shaft. Disconnect the shaft. (Lock your steering wheel so you don't damage your clock spring). Pull the nuts off the bolts holding the unit (my manual says to slide the bolts forward into the frame to help you remove the unit) and take it out.