1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what do they make this s**t out of now??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by redneckarmyMP, May 1, 2009.

1. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

a friend of mine has a 01 ram 2500 and was stuck out in a field and called me to come pull him out..we hooked the chain up to my hitch and pulled and pulled.after a few minutes we noticed my hitch had been bent to a 45 degree angle!!well its already bent so dont stop now..pulled for a little bit longer.i had been able to drag him about 25 feet but it was getting to the point that i couldnt get traction and his axles were buried..so we hooked another silverado up to the front on mine using the tow hooks.first little tug..SNAP!!there goes my drivers side tow hook..:grrrrrr:what are they makin this stuff out of these days?anybody else havin these problems?
  2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i work with a guy that used to run for a wrecker service, and he said that the first thing he replaces on chevy's are their tow hooks b/c factory ones are junk
  3. Evan

Evan New Member

Ah, the feel of pulling a Dodge out w/ a Chevy lol.:rofl:
  4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

2500 8 lug tow hooks are a lot stronger than the ones on 1500's.
  5. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i ended up ripping his front bumper completely off before it was all over with!
  6. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Must be a forging flaw....anything made of steel that dia. should be able to pick the whole truck up!
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

What's more impressive is your 4.8 pulled his big 2500 out :lol:anyway its very hard to imagine the hooks failing but from looking at newer trucks they are smaller than my old 96's tow hooks. Mine are factory rated at 10,000 lb and still look new :smile: maybe see if older style ones will work with a newer truck.
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I use mine to lift the front of my truck enough to put on jack stands. I do the same with the receiver.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The one on the NNBS look really big and tough but the ones on the NBS look a little thinner and not as built.
  10. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

You have to remember, the 3/4 tons trucks are a LOT heavier than 1/2 ton trucks. I bet your buddies 01 Ram 2500 weighs ~9000lbs.

As far as your hitch, what kind of hitch do you have, Class III or IV? A class III is only good for 6000 lbs where a Class IV is good for 10,000lbs.