what do they make this s**t out of now??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by redneckarmyMP, May 1, 2009.

1. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I had my K2500 winched out of a creek, up a 50 foot bank by a wrecker. My wheels were not touching the ground, the truck was stuck on the frame ends with the creek running under it. Had so much resistance it pulled the wrecker off the highway until my 4 wheel drive got some traction on the front wheels to help. But the tow hook was unfazed.

2. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

DSC_1468.jpg I dunno dude, the hooks on my HD2500 seem pretty strong!!! That's a 10 foot long Red Oak trunk, about 26 inches in diameter! Pulled up a dirt hill. Had to put her in 4X4 low. No problem!!

3. steved

steved Former Member

Even a 2500 with a Cummins only curb weighs 6200#s...they have a GVW of 8800 or 9000#s.

Remember tow hooks are for towing, not yanking...

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow, someone resurrected a 3 year old thread in November and we're still commenting on it. It must be because a small GM yanked a big Dodge out of a field. Hrm....

5. steved

steved Former Member

Nah, I responded because I watched a chain pass through a front windshield, rear window, smash the dash all to pieces, crush the hood, and finally pile into the tailgate from a broken tow hook as a result of a guy yanking on a stuck truck before...the energy stored in a flying 1/2 inch logging chain is impressive.

Luckily, the driver escaped with only a few minor cuts from flying glass shards...she was lucky.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think we need a post about safe pulling or getting rescued.. I see lots of pics of people getting pulled out and not ONE has a safety Towel or banner in the middle of your rope or chain. incase you did not know that helps to slow down the rope or chain if it breaks which could save you from a broken window or dent on your truck or even better YOU from getting hurt..

http://www.ehow.com/how_6833562_pull-car-out-ditch.html
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_get_a_car_out_of_the_mud
    http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

Incase the strap may break, lay a tarp or some jackets on top of the recovery strap. When the strap breaks (lets hope for the best, but prepare for the worst), the jackets or tarp will slow the recovery strap down before it hits someone.

7. sodbuster

sodbuster New Member

May be an old thread but Enkeiavalanche's information was new to me, good to know.

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I completely agree. Many people do not know about using something on the strap. I don't know how many times I went to pull someone out at a offroad park and people looked at me strange when I laid 2 heavy pairs of carhartt overall across the strap. I have a friend that still does not do it and he lost 3 back windows out of his jeep from flying chains and straps

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

About the tow hooks being crap. I bent my left side one pulling my cummins out of our marsh at the farm it pushed down about an inch