1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you hunt with?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Vincennes02261897, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

There are tons of different ways to hunt (rifle, shotgun, pistol, black powder, bow, etc.). I was just curious as to what everyone uses to hunt.

As for me, I hunt dove with either my L.C. Smith 20 ga side by side or my Savage Arms Fox 12 ga side by side. Both were shotguns that belonged to two different great grandfathers of mine.

I haven't gotten around to any deer hunting yet but I'll be fixing up some family land that has been sitting idle for years to make it more suitable. I plan on giving my Mossin Nagant M44 a go during next deer season. I got it for free and it is currently the only rifle I own personally (my dad has a couple but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway, what do you guys use to hunt?
  2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use my Beretta AL391 12ga for ducks. I use my Franchi O/U for upland game. I deer hunt with either my Remington 700 30-06 when the land permits or my Charles Daly 12ga and use my Stoeger 2000 for turkey. The Beretta is by far the best shooting shotgun I have ever owned.

I bet those side by sides are real honey's!!
  3. Vincennes02261897

They're a lot of fun and very well built. It's hard to have to be so careful with them, though.

How do you like that 700? I've been looking at buying one. Which 700 do you have? My dad just got a 770 for almost free (Cabela's reward points) and although I haven't put too many rounds through it, it seems pretty nice. It's made a lot cheaper than the 700, however. The bolt feels kind of shady.
  4. ajarman

It's a model 710. I really like that it holds 5 rounds. I have shot better bolt actions, but it knocks the white tails down when they are in the cross hairs! :great:
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

870 express and winchester semi-auto for bird hunting, mossberg slug gun for white tail. 12 gauge for turkeys and savage .223 for those coyotes. Also jennings compound bow for archery season.
  6. Vincennes02261897

Nice. I've been thinking about getting into bow hunting because I think it would be a fun challenge. Right now I'm just trying to justify the price tags that equal those of many firearms.
  7. ajarman

NC just allowed the use of a crossbow and I was thinking about getting into that, but wow the price tags on those bab boys are high! What bow were you looking into Vencennes??
  8. jbjohnson92f

jbjohnson92f Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i use my M249 s.a.w, but its not for game(at least not animals anyways)
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I deer hunt rifle season here in MN. I have a Mauser 30-06 with a 6 round Mag, bolt action. Great GUN acturate, and reliable.
    And I grouse/rabbit hunt with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic Pump. I use 8 shot since Rabbits dont do to well with 6 shot which is what i prefer with Grouse, but its a good trade off.
  10. CLSword

CLSword New Member

I have a .17 HMR that I predator and squirrel hunt with. Ive got a Mossber 500 20 ga. that I use for turkey and rabbit. I borrowed a 30-30 to deer hunt with this past season. Im looking into a Hoyt bow to deer hunt with next season. 2 of my really good friends and their dads shoot a hoyt and they have had absolutley nothing bad to say about them so im gonna but my money into one.