GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

What do you hunt with?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Vincennes02261897, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member

There are tons of different ways to hunt (rifle, shotgun, pistol, black powder, bow, etc.). I was just curious as to what everyone uses to hunt.

As for me, I hunt dove with either my L.C. Smith 20 ga side by side or my Savage Arms Fox 12 ga side by side. Both were shotguns that belonged to two different great grandfathers of mine.

I haven't gotten around to any deer hunting yet but I'll be fixing up some family land that has been sitting idle for years to make it more suitable. I plan on giving my Mossin Nagant M44 a go during next deer season. I got it for free and it is currently the only rifle I own personally (my dad has a couple but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway, what do you guys use to hunt?
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member

I use my Beretta AL391 12ga for ducks. I use my Franchi O/U for upland game. I deer hunt with either my Remington 700 30-06 when the land permits or my Charles Daly 12ga and use my Stoeger 2000 for turkey. The Beretta is by far the best shooting shotgun I have ever owned.

I bet those side by sides are real honey's!!
  3. Vincennes02261897

They're a lot of fun and very well built. It's hard to have to be so careful with them, though.

How do you like that 700? I've been looking at buying one. Which 700 do you have? My dad just got a 770 for almost free (Cabela's reward points) and although I haven't put too many rounds through it, it seems pretty nice. It's made a lot cheaper than the 700, however. The bolt feels kind of shady.
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member

It's a model 710. I really like that it holds 5 rounds. I have shot better bolt actions, but it knocks the white tails down when they are in the cross hairs! :great:
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member

870 express and winchester semi-auto for bird hunting, mossberg slug gun for white tail. 12 gauge for turkeys and savage .223 for those coyotes. Also jennings compound bow for archery season.
  6. Vincennes02261897

Nice. I've been thinking about getting into bow hunting because I think it would be a fun challenge. Right now I'm just trying to justify the price tags that equal those of many firearms.
  7. ajarman

ajarman New Member

NC just allowed the use of a crossbow and I was thinking about getting into that, but wow the price tags on those bab boys are high! What bow were you looking into Vencennes??
  8. jbjohnson92f

jbjohnson92f New Member

i use my M249 s.a.w, but its not for game(at least not animals anyways)
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

I deer hunt rifle season here in MN. I have a Mauser 30-06 with a 6 round Mag, bolt action. Great GUN acturate, and reliable.
    And I grouse/rabbit hunt with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic Pump. I use 8 shot since Rabbits dont do to well with 6 shot which is what i prefer with Grouse, but its a good trade off.
  10. CLSword

CLSword New Member

I have a .17 HMR that I predator and squirrel hunt with. Ive got a Mossber 500 20 ga. that I use for turkey and rabbit. I borrowed a 30-30 to deer hunt with this past season. Im looking into a Hoyt bow to deer hunt with next season. 2 of my really good friends and their dads shoot a hoyt and they have had absolutley nothing bad to say about them so im gonna but my money into one.
  11. Vincennes02261897

I've looked at some Hoyt bows and various other brands. For those most part I've just walked the bow isles of Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, etc. I don't really know where to start. My father has a Bowtech compound bow and he seems to enjoy it just fine. I'm really not sure where to start, though. I like to buy things that would last a life time but I look for good deals. I guess you could say I'm all about bang for the buck. I'm a value shopper. Any suggestions?
  12. ajarman

ajarman New Member

I have never bow hunted. I have just gotten the intrest here in the last 2 years or so. I am about like you, I have been to Dick's Sportting Goods and Bass Pro and looked at a few. The Bass Pro in Concord, NC has an indoor archery range and I have tried out a Bear Assault and it felt good but the price was, yikes!!
  13. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I duck hunt with a Benelli M2
    I bow Hunt with a Bowtech Allegiance
    I sight fish/stalk fish the skinny water which is hunting with a flyrod, I use a Sage RPL 6wt and a Sage LL 4wt for rainbows/browns/cutts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. SB09

SB09 New Member

I mainly bow hunt with a PSE Whitetail Obsession. When I rifle hunt ( rarely ) I use a Sako 7mm-Mag that was handed down to me from my dad. My dad acquired the gun in a trade for a horse and a horse trailer. I think he came out on the good end of that deal, the rifle is a tack driver.

In the area I hunt of Texas we have a big problem with hogs. So, for those I usually us a Ruger GP100 in .357 if they're close enough. Otherwise, they get the Sako 7mm-Mag.

Nice Speed Goat BTW 1flyfisher!

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I would go with either a Bear or PSE bow. Both have incredible backgrounds and won't necessarily "break the bank" like brand such as Matthews will.

My PSE is 4 years old and all I've replaced on it is the strings which are part of regular maintenance if you shoot a lot.
  15. wpnsgy

wpnsgy New Member

Hunting

Winchester 30-30 and Bow
  16. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member

i have a rem 700 in 30.06 for deer, had a rem 870 for pheasant(sold it to buy a browning pump this summer), diamond bow(bow tech) for deer, im hoping to buy a black powder rifle soon too id like to get into that, any thoughts on who makes good one(ive been leaning towards Thompson Center)
  17. Runnerboy23

Runnerboy23 New Member

I hunt with my bare hands haha
  18. Vincennes02261897

That's definitely pretty hardcore. LoL.

All I can tell you about Thompson Center is that my friend is on their tax audit account up in Boston. I haven't ever had anything to do with Black Powder rifles but I have some friends that were into it for a while. They seemed to have really enjoyed the hobby. I also think it would be a fun thing to get in to.
  19. IAsilverado

IAsilverado New Member

i have a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 Semi-auto for deer/pheasant/duck, a Remington 700 VTR .223 bolt action for them coyotes, a Ruger 10-22 semi-auto just for the range, and a pump 4-10 that doesn't get used hardly at all anymore

Edit-- O ya i almost forgot the bow! i also bow hunt deer with my Parker Wildfire XP (this was my first year bow hunting and i love it already!)
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  20. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member

hows the benelli? ive heard they are really good shotguns