1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you keep in the receiver when you aren't towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by savagetman, Apr 27, 2014.

1. savagetman

savagetman Member

PowerFist Class IV 3/4 in. Tow Shackle from Princess Auto since the cops here like to give tickets from time to time to any truck that has a receiver with a ball, hook or what ever that sticks out past the rear bumper when not towing.

Attached Files:

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow Ive never heard of getting a ticket for having a hitch in the reciever wthout a trailer on.
    I normally remove the hitch as soon as I disconnect the trailer, got tired of racking my shins on them.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

They give tickets in my neck of the woods too, I think it's dangerous to leave them in.

I have a regency conversion hitch plug for mine
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

gmclballs.jpg

Truck nuts
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, they will not ticket you for the tow Shackle? I have heard of cops ticketing guys here for leaving the ball in with no trailer. I take mine out right away and put the plug back in that is part of the white night system. A friend of mine was a sheriff deputy for 14 years and he said that they used the installed ball with no trailer as an excuse to pull people over all the time.
  6. JnBama

JnBama Active Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Dumb drivers around here bad about tailgating and stopping too close at red lights, my hitch will probably end up in a grill or front bumper. Have been looking at hitch covers ,will send picture when I get one
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Never have I heard of this before. I guess they'll ticket anything these days.
  8. savagetman

savagetman Member

i was told as long as the tow shackle does not stick past the rear bumper i should be ok, time will tell
  9. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It's like the "burned out license plate light", or your trailer plate mounted vertical, a reason to pull you over and look for something else, no seat belt, etc.....
  10. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

I recently heard it was illegal to leave a hitch in here too...then I heard they say is blocks clear view of the rear plate...well that makes no sense at all. But I've never really left hitches in anyway. I did have a hitch step for a while. But if you live anywhere with road salt, don't leave anything that rusts in there, my grandpa has a 94 k1500, that hitch is seized in the receiver. even blaster plus acetylene plus tractor tugs wont break it out.