Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What do you keep in the receiver when you aren't towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by savagetman, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

The receiver....its rusted in lol

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

wow, almost anything I put in my receiver on my 2005 would stick out farther than the bumper, except a flat plug. I just looked, it may be set 1" behind the bumper.

3. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

found a Z71 plug to use when not haulin stuff. Compliments the rest of the Z71 badging.

4. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

ball mount. Haven't been pulled over yet. I don't think it matters in my town anyways.

5. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

Never heard of that before, and I have a Class-A licence in Colorado. I keep the 1-7/8", the 2" raise, the 2" drop, and the 2-5/8" all in the toolbox, and the pindle (hook) / 2" combo in the receiver. I painted the sucker safety yellow so my co-workers and I would avoid the shin-smashing as it was parked. I have the car-harpoon in place because that covers 90% of the trailers I use, and because if you rear-end me you darn well will be paying for it (j/k)
    IMG_20140424_182332_209.jpg

6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Well I usually keep nothing but I screwed up, long excuse but for my 2.5 in receiver I left the reducer in and left my lockable receiver pin in place. Now I can't even get the key more than half way in after soaking it with rust check and various other penetrating oils. Looks like its grinder time...

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Personally, if I'm not going to be hooking up to a trailer in a couple days I pull the stinger out, but that's just because I don't want it to rust. If there were a law around here for that everyone would be getting tickets constantly. Generally, if there's a hitch, there's some sort stinger in it for most people around here.

8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

With my 2012 Silverado I have to remove the receiver/ball because the backup sensors actually sense the ball. You get an alarm notice and it will drive you nuts each time you back up, so out it goes when not in use.

9. SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

I have a oil rig drill bit that my brother in law made. It sticks out about 4'' from the back bumper. It is mostly a aesthetic piece, but I have used it to push around some heavy objects since its so stout.

10. Gatito

Gatito New Member

Im my area, i asked an officer of Sureté du Québec about that. He said there is no reason to give a ticket for a Hitch ball, except if it block partly the view of the license plate.
    I live in Canada, Québec province