Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What do you keep in the receiver when you aren't towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by savagetman, Apr 27, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've never heard of people being ticketed for leaving the ball in their receiver. That is lame. I guess Texas is lenient on that. But at the same time, it is annoying when you pull into a parking space behind a truck that still has the ball in and you can't pull all the way in to your spot.

I don't have a tow package (but I am thinking of getting one soon) but I would remove my ball when not in use and get one of those steps to keep in the receiver for easier bed access.

2. White Lightning

White Lightning New Member

This is an urban myth, there is nothing in the highway traffic act that says you cannot have a hitch in the receiver. If the excuse is the ball blocks the plate what about all the yuppies driving around with bikes hanging off the back of their SUV's?

ChevyFan likes this.
  3. doublecardan

doublecardan Member

There is nothing in the Ontario HTA that covers this as well, their more concerned with special licence plate covers that block the toll road from seeing the license. Something about the camera hitting the shade and reflecting back. What cops really need to be concerned about is the idiots that have the double enclosed snowmobile trailers or contractor specials that are being pulled with ford rangers or minivans and do not have the proper mirrors. These clowns are scary as the other bugwits who pull 5th wheels and a boat behind that. Its legal but not smart.

4. nsguy

nsguy Member

I think they just want you to drive without balls....:lol:

ChevyFan likes this.
  5. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

I usually leave my ball in, I prefer the protection from neons...I did get pulled over years ago (BS stop) for a bumper ball that "obscured my license plate" just so the trooper could give me a seat belt ticket.

6. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

nothing at all, That way no one steals my hitch. If there's nothing there then no one can take it. I use to keep a plastic boat prop. in it, but after I sold the boat I took that out. Now I just run naked.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    ChevyFan likes this.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

During the summer, I usually leave my pintle hook for towing my equipment trailer in the hitch unless I know I won't be towing the trailer for a few days. Usually I tow it often enough to just leave the hitch in. In the winter, I leave the hitch open but keep a tow shackle insert in the truck.

I generally don't like leaving a hitch in for extended periods of time when not towing the trailer though because I have heard of people being rear-ended, and having more damage caused by the force on the hitch twisting the frame than if the other vehicle would have just hit their bumper. The bumper brackets bend to absurb the force. Having a hitch in the receiver makes the hitch the first point of the forces of impact, which puts stress on the frame.

8. savagetman

savagetman Member

so far iv been keeping my shackle in all year round but i did put anti-cease on it before i put it in the receiver and i do pull it out and stick it back in 1 or 2 times a year.

9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's good. My old work truck had a hitch extension in the receiver when I bought it. The company who owned the truck before had obviously never removed it. To this day, I haven't been able to get that thing out of the receiver.

10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I leave mine open and my ball set up in the tool box, in my state, they like to steal those, tail gates, and the wheels of GM trucks.