1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what do you think? wheel and locks

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by adforester, Mar 12, 2010.

1. adforester

adforester New Member

Hello,
    I have an 05 1500 with now 32,000 on it and I use it as a work truck.

It just developed a squeking/rubbing sound right behind the steering wheel itself. It's not power steering or anything in the engine compartment, the sound comes from right behind the wheel when I turn left or right. I tried snaking some silicone spray up behind the wheel but couldn't because the steering column plastic goes into the steering wheel.

Also my passenger side door will lock and unlock from the inside but will not work on the outside with the use of a key?

thanks for anyhelp!
  2. adforester

adforester New Member

hmm just bumping as the sound is getting louder
  3. dano8928

dano8928 Member

I have an 03 Silverado and i also get the rubbing noise. Now ive tried out other trucks around the same year and they all do it. Its one of chevys few flaws. I cant remember what the GM mechanic told me it was but i do remember that they said its not really fixable. somethin we have to deal with.
  4. doug_scott

doug_scott Rockstar

My guess would be the horn ring. Sometimes it gets dry and will make a noise when you turn the wheel.
  5. jamesdeanj

jamesdeanj Member

If the key cylinder still turns you probably just lost the clip that holds the rod to the latch assembly. Or the rod itself my have gotten bent so it doesn't push/pull like it is supposed to. Should be an easy/cheap fix. It will probably take longer to remove the door panel than fix the lock.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

there is recalls on these trucks for intermediate steering shaft, have the dealership check it out