1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What does everyone do these days to protect agaist rust.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Outlaw19, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Outlaw19

Outlaw19 Member

I have a mint 1999 Chevy Silverado. It has 450000 kms on it and runs like it brand new. The one problem is that I cant seem to keep the rust from stopping underneath. Iv tried painting undercoating ext. but it still seems to show through after 3 months. Any ideas to keep my truck rust free for many more years to come. In better words how to stop rust from getting any worse once its already started.

Attached Files:

2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Nothing that I know of! I've lost more vehicles due to rust and corrosion! The county I live in don't use salt in the winter, but where I work does, so I cant get away from it! Rust eats up everything unless you wanna wash your truck every week!

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I moved out of Seattle. Does that count?

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I dont drive my baby in the winter... period. Bought a donor vehicle for 3k basically donating its parts to the atmosphere instead of donating my $45k vehicle.:lol:

5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Rust converter and fluid film.

6. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith New Member

I heard of a certain paint that supposedly helps with that stuff, POR-15

http://www.por15.com/

I've never used it or never knew anyone who has used it so I can't really vouch for it, but i'm sure a little search over the internet and you can find some reviews on it

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Once corrosion has started the only way to stop/prevent further damage is to completely remove the existing corrosion, then apply a paint or coating system that revents futher moisture intrusion and corrosion.
    Treating the raw metal with a conversion coating prior to using a top or protective coating goes a long ways towards halting damage.

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I lived in a place where they salted the roads during the winter, I would Line-x the entire underside of my truck. Better yet, just Line-X the whole thing: top, bottom, all 4 sides.

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

One winter a light oil leak kept a decent amount of some of the front frame from rotting. But that's not a real solution. Do as [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] said he knows his stuff.

10. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I try and wash her every week I drive her. I usually drive my car unless roads are real bad, in that case, its all snow and little salt lol