GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

What does everyone do these days to protect agaist rust.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Outlaw19, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Outlaw19

Outlaw19 New Member

I have a mint 1999 Chevy Silverado. It has 450000 kms on it and runs like it brand new. The one problem is that I cant seem to keep the rust from stopping underneath. Iv tried painting undercoating ext. but it still seems to show through after 3 months. Any ideas to keep my truck rust free for many more years to come. In better words how to stop rust from getting any worse once its already started.

Attached Files:

2. zuki82

zuki82 New Member

Nothing that I know of! I've lost more vehicles due to rust and corrosion! The county I live in don't use salt in the winter, but where I work does, so I cant get away from it! Rust eats up everything unless you wanna wash your truck every week!
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I moved out of Seattle. Does that count?
  4. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I dont drive my baby in the winter... period. Bought a donor vehicle for 3k basically donating its parts to the atmosphere instead of donating my $45k vehicle.:lol:
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Rust converter and fluid film.
  6. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith New Member

I heard of a certain paint that supposedly helps with that stuff, POR-15

http://www.por15.com/

I've never used it or never knew anyone who has used it so I can't really vouch for it, but i'm sure a little search over the internet and you can find some reviews on it
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Once corrosion has started the only way to stop/prevent further damage is to completely remove the existing corrosion, then apply a paint or coating system that revents futher moisture intrusion and corrosion.
    Treating the raw metal with a conversion coating prior to using a top or protective coating goes a long ways towards halting damage.
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

If I lived in a place where they salted the roads during the winter, I would Line-x the entire underside of my truck. Better yet, just Line-X the whole thing: top, bottom, all 4 sides.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

One winter a light oil leak kept a decent amount of some of the front frame from rotting. But that's not a real solution. Do as [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] said he knows his stuff.
  10. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

I try and wash her every week I drive her. I usually drive my car unless roads are real bad, in that case, its all snow and little salt lol
  11. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I wash it weekly also. I do have some surface rust that appeared in a few spots on my bumper and a few other places. They will all come off with a clay bar when winter ends.
  12. the phantom

the phantom New Member

For a 95 in salt your trucks in great shape!! I had a 95 and sold it in 07' in decent shape (12 years old). 2 years later(my buddy bought it) it almost was rusted to pieces. He had to replace front fenders, rear quarters, cab corners, tailgate hinges, and more. I saw the cancer began and dumped it before it died.:frown:
  13. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I don't think that I ever let salt sit on that truck for more than 3 days. It was constantly washed and waxed when it was a DD. We used to have a place near my home called Poly Pro car wash. It was a well lit, heated warehouse with maybe 10 separate pressure washer bays. They had vacuums and air nozzles in each bay. Plus for $2 they would give you a bucket with 3 towels, window cleaner, tire cleaner, degreaser, armour all, and carpet cleaner. You would use the towels and trade them in for new clean towels. They charged you for the time that you were in the building. I could completely detail my truck in and out by myself for around $12. If I waxed it I payed around $20. A group of us would meet there and 4 people would climb in a truck. We could completely detail a truck for $8. So, we would just do one at a time. After I stopped driving it daily I wash it every time it sees salt.
  14. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Oil spray or undercoat it every fall....makes a gooey mess when you want to work on it, but thems the breaks.