What does the Diablo Intune look like?

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by PantheraUncia, Aug 19, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Diablo Intune Information

Part I - The Intune size comparison

I hear comparisons of the Diablo Intune to a credit card which I can understand, but don't believe to be really accurate so I decided to post some comparison pictures with a smart phone like the Iphone 4S to get a better comparison about its size.

Part of this is because when I went to Diablo's web site and looked up the intune my first impression was that the Intune was some sort of app you could install on a smart phone (which in my opinion it should be). It just makes more sense to use better hardware like an Iphone or a Galaxy S3 where you have a higher quality touch screen display and massive storage.

But then I found out it was the Intune was actually a piece of hardware like any other programmer. Anyway for people that are looking at getting an Intune, I love mine after having it 3 months and this is what you are getting when buying an Intune (Iphone Not Included :gasp:):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Intune does not have a battery or run on its own power. The Intune gets its power from the USB cable when it is connected to a computer or the OBDII cable when it is connected to your vehicle.

Part II - In the vehicle

[​IMG]
    The OBDII port under the dash on the drivers side of the truck.

[​IMG]
    The OBDII cable that came with the Intune connected to the OBDII port on the truck.

[​IMG]
    The Intune connected to the truck and then connected to the netbook running Diablo Data Viewer 3.3.0.8 for live data logging (Part of the reason I did not go with a Trinity)

Part III - Software for the PC

[​IMG]
    The software is pretty good and depending on the size of your laptop, it will be easier to read than the screen of the Intune. The Intune does not have a fancy display like the Trinity, but that is what the computer is for :). If you have a local drag strip or track where you can rent time, then you can push the truck and record data for your Wide Open Throttle (WOT) data log.

Part IV - Other Information.

If your software updates are current as of this article (GM Specific):

• Trucks from 1999-2013 are supported.
    • Gas and Diesel are supported.
    • Adjustment of transmission shift points are supported.
    • Newer trucks with fancier computers than mine will probably have more options that can be logged.

Additional Information:

• When you buy one, the first thing you want to do is connect it to a computer with an internet connection and let it self update before using it the first time.
      • This can take up to an hour depending on how many updates there are.

Part V - First time use

• When you connect it to the truck the first time, the Intune automatically backs up your factory settings and writes them to a file.
    • Next you have the option to pick from (typically) 3 custom tunes from Diablo.
    • Once you pick the tune you want, you can choose to load it into the computer on the truck.
    • You load the tune, following the on screen instructions and the tune is loaded.
    • Now you can disconnect the Intune and no longer need to leave it connected to the truck.
    • The re-tune of the truck is complete.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How does the tuner interface with the on board computer?
  3. PantheraUncia

The Intune comes with a cable that on one end has an OBDII connector that connects to the computer in the truck and the other end looks like a 10 pin flat connector(similar to the old style charging cables for older cell phones like a Nextel) and that plugs into the bottom of the Intune. I will take some photo's of it and post them as I get more time.
  4. Conlan Rose

How well does it boost the performance of the truck?
  5. PantheraUncia

Well, my truck as 216,000 +/- miles on it. I got the Intune 3 months ago. I loaded the custom tune from diablo called the "Diablo Tune" there were a couple I could choose from.

With the "Diablo Tune" loaded in place of the factory settings; Driving down the road my shift points were better, and if I put the gas pedal to the floor, I was able to go 0 - 60 fast enough that I could tell it was faster than with the factory settings (something I would do if I was in a jam and had to pass another car on the freeway, etc) so I would have to say that there was some HP gain, but I don't have a dyno or the tools to measure what type of HP gain I got from the tune.

I did notice with allot of highway driving, I was able to get about 1 to 1.5 MPG's better from a full tank of gas. Now if I decided to ride the gas pedal, I lost a little MPG and had to fill up sooner.

I am thinking about getting a real custom tune from Lew (06MonteSS) on here at some point which should improve the performance more.
  6. Conlan Rose

That's fairly cool sadly checked the site the latest model they go it 1999 not 96' like I need. Well at least my truck in theory can do a 8.8 sec 0-60 based on Motortrend tests from when it won 96' truck of the year.
  7. PantheraUncia

Conlan,

I am not sure what is involved in supporting older trucks, I believe that your truck is OBD I? or maybe the computer on older trucks can't be re programmed as easy as newer ones, hence needing a physical chip upgrade? (not sure).

I did update the pics so you can see the rest of the setup. You do not need a laptop or the software on the laptop, however I like having the laptop connected to the Intune because I can resize the gauges on the Data Viewer many different sizes for monitoring the data.
  8. Conlan Rose

My truck is the first model year from GM that all models had OBD-II. It's the same year that OBD-II became required on all cars from there on. In theory my truck should have the same software and hardware as the 1999 Tahoe they have the same engine, tranny, and close to the same specs (minus adding a pass side air bag, and adding more options for the LT and releasing a Z71 package)
  9. DiabloMike

DiabloMike New Member

Nice write up, thanks!!
  10. PantheraUncia

Thanks Mike