1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What exhaust to get installed on suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by AnCap, Jun 25, 2013.

1. AnCap

AnCap New Member

I got a 1999 GMC Suburban with 2 inch body lift,I want to get new exhaust installed on it. I had Flowmaster's put on my yukon I had few years ago and enjoyed those not sure if should go with same thing or something different. I want LOUD but really deep sound.Also want to know what else I can do to improve gas mileage I am thinking of cold air intake and maybe throttle body spacer? Not sure...suggestions are helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone got any info or experience with the Gibson Metal Mulisha Exhaust? Those are the ones I really like the sound of...
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Throttle body spacers are pointless and a waste of money. The only way that you are going to see major differences from CIA and exhaust is with a custom tune. As far as exhaust goes, it is personal preference. I would ask some guys with trucks that I like the sound of what they have. I like the sound of flow master, but I hate the drone on the highway.
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you liked the Flowmasters you had on your Yukon, then stick with that.
  4. AnCap

AnCap New Member

Yeah thinking of going with flowmaster 10's. The guy that did my last vehicle exhaust said the 10's are nice but people keep bringing them back because they resonate throughout the vehicle...wish I could drive in a vehicle with that resonation before I got it done on mine. So no on the throttle spacers....anything else you would suggest doing to it? Gonna get new tires plus the exhaust and cold air intake...would love more power and gas mileage so..
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

if you lower the vehicle and have stock sized tires you will inrease the MPG. the taller the vehicle the greater the friction and lower MPG.

The throttle body spacer with a stock engine is a waste of time and money. a cold air intake air filter may be good with very hot temps 90 deg F plus but at lower temps the engine will run poorly the colder the air temp.

if you wish to make a lot of exhaust noise there are may options. I would get a low restriction stainless steel exhaust . the custom exhaust shop will help with what sound your looking for,
  6. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

on my 04 silverado i started by replacing the stock muffler with a generic magnaflow muffler off the shelf. i wasn't sure how it sounded untill i had a friend do a drive by and it was awesome, but i wanted more noise in the cab so i got a cat back dual flowmaster super 44. loved it to but cab drone was more an occasional issue. i found it was certain highway speeds. mostly if you were speeding a bit. i found by asking people and even youtubing diff exhaust systems on my truck it helped make my decision.
  7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I like the sound of my corsa sport exhaust... in combination with my headers. I get compliments from the local shops... there is nothing in my area that sounds like it...:)))
  8. AnCap

AnCap New Member

Fell in love with the Dynomax Bullet exhaust but dynomax says they don't have that system for a suburban so gonna have to go with Flowmaster 10 series...I got 3 kids and a wife that drives the vehicle every day should I stick with 1 exhaust or true duals? the exhaust guy said a lot of people bring their vehicles back because of the drone inside the vehicle from the true duals.
  9. runsdeep0826

runsdeep0826 New Member

Are the 10 series the small single chambers? I have them on a 78 z28 and there crazy loud for family I had a set of the 1k HP race mufflers on a impala that were that style single chamber small square very loud aggressive tone
  10. 09mgray

09mgray Member 1 Year

i got Thrush and it Sounds Good Not as Deep as id like but its good for the price and its only a single not duel