1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What fluids need to be changed?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ZSI52, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So Im fixing to pass 20,000 miles from when I bought my truck from the dealer and Im curious about what fluids need to be changed and what kind of fluids you guys use. I just had the transmission fluid flushed right after I got it because we were trouble shooting some shifting problems which turned out to be the computers fault.

Is there anything else besides the Oil/Oil filter, Transmission fluid/transmission filter/ Transmission pan gasket (I have a small leak also), and the rear differential fluid? Is the fluid in the differential the only thing that needs to be changed or is there something else? Also I have a small leak on the front of the rear axle. Its where the drive shaft connects to the axle. Could it be a seal busted or something similar. I looked around on autozone.com and I couldn't find the seal for it, but I dont know what its correct name is haha so I might have passed it up.

Thanks.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What is the actual mileage on your truck? Look in your owers manual it has all suggested change intervals for the fluids.
  3. ZSI52

The mileage Is about 78,000. The truck didn't come with a owners manual. I would like to change all the fluids around the 20,000 - 25,000 mile range.
  4. mill8365

mill8365 Member

Change it all! ...Thats what i did! Rather be safe than sorry! :glasses:
  5. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

The biggest cause of a leaky pan gasket is overtightning it. As far as what fluids to use, use the tranny fluid GM recomends and for oil; ive always used castrol GTX and Lucas Oil Stabilizer with a K&N oil filter. Its the only way to go.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You should be able to get one online for your truck. It will have all the recommended fluids and the intervals in it. Or maybe someone can give you what you need from theres for their same year truck
  7. ZSI52

I feel like I'm fogeting something. Is there any other fluids that need to be changed when I change the rest. I've been using valvoline with a K&N oil filter. I'm Just not sure what to use for the differential or transmission
  8. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Antifreeze,power steering,brake fluid. I just got my Tahoe in December and I changed anything that had an oil,fluid,filtered,antifreeze in it.
    I have to take care of the old girl now the bank took my ford back.
    Couldnt afford repairs on it..:rofl:
  9. ZSI52

Ok so is this all I need to replace? I found a manual online and this is what it said.

Automatic transmission fluid - Dexron - VI
    Rear Axle - SAE 75w-90

What about a transfer case? Or is that only on 4WD's haha

How many quarts do I need of each fluid? Sorry I'm a complete Noob when it comes to this stuff. If it's electrical I can figure it out but this stuff is confusing to me haha
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I would be careful when you change everything in your transmition, it could have negative effect, I changed everything in a 97 silverado and it shocked the transmition and ended up having to get a rebuilt so now as long as my filter isn't bad I leave it in.

My transmition takes 6 quarts, 2 in torque converter and 4 in trans and lines, but thats a 700r4 not positive if its the same , and I don't know about the rear end...but yes a transfer case is only on 4wd lol
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010