What goes there?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Magna86, Jan 14, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. Magna86

Magna86 New Member

Alright today I did an oil change, PCV valve change, and air filter replacement with MAF cleaning. I notice on my airbox there is a rubber grommet with nothing in it. It is on th elid next to where the MAF connects to lid. My question is does something go there? I didn't see anything and was thinking of plugging it since it after the filter.

Thanks
    Magna
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nope that should either be the air box hold down, and i believe there is a small moisture drain as well.
  3. Magna86

Magna86 New Member

Yes after the filter in the airbox lid. If you look at the airbox form passenger side its on left of the 3inch opening for the MAF. It has a grommet in the hole like what you would see for a PCV on a valve cover and about that size too. Can post pic tomorrow if need be. Its weird I know
  4. murdog94

Id say pic needed because im even more confused.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

From what you have mentioned where that 3in" hole is.......From the Factory there is suppose to be a Cylinder Plastic looking Gauge there......it is suppose to let you know went the Stock Air Filter is Dirty and needs to be Replaced.....Once the Air Filter is replaced you push the button at the end of it to Re-set it.....for the next Cycle.

Edit:
    I just looked in the Owners Manual.......and the item is Called,
    .....Air Cleaner Filter Restriction Indicator Check,
    Your vehicle has an indicator located on the air cleaner in the engine compartment that lets you know when the air cleaner filter is dirty and needs to be changed. Check indicator at least twice a year or when your oil is changed, whichever occurs first. See “Air Cleaner” in the Index for more information. Inspect your air cleaner filter restriction indicator more often if the vehicle is used in dusty areas or under off road conditions.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

It is what 99'Heaartbeat said. I would absolutely replace it with a new one or plug that hole as it is letting unfiltered air into your engine.
  7. Magna86

Magna86 New Member

DSCN1235.jpg

Here it is. I guess I'm going to plug it or find one of those cool looking cone filter for valve covers!!! lol
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 Heartbeat'99 is correct.
  9. murdog94

X3 i was thinking in the bottom of the air box, not on the top!