1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What got you started buying Silverado/GMC?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by dutzowmo, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dutzowmo

dutzowmo Rockstar 100 Posts

I was just curious on how everyone got started with owning silverados/seirra?

For me it was in the family. My parents have owned nothing but chevys their whole lives. For a family of four the smallest engine is a v8 and 3 of them are chevys. The other is a 06 ford explorer and has been in the shop more than more old chevy that had 175k on it. Growing up around them I noticed there was nothing that could stop them. At work all of the mechanics trucks are chevy's and ten years old but still run like new.
  2. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

My uncles been driving a 83 high sierra since it was new and he's rebuilt the engine recently but the truck has over 400,000 on it and is still going strong so I knew they were dependable and all my other cars are GM so I'm pretty loyal to the general and honestly the 95 to 98 model 1500's were always one of my dream trucks just classic
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well my grandfather has always been a GM guy and got my truck in 04 brand new.
    On my 16th birthday last year he gave it to me with 27,000 in great cond.
    So I guess I am a Gm guy by birth. :gasp:
    my dad has always been a Gm/Jeep guy also. :great:
  4. dutzowmo

dutzowmo Rockstar 100 Posts

If you look at my album i have my first truck up with it was a green 97 silverado. I'm still tempted today to trader my 05 for that style. best styling ever. My neighbor had a 93 silverado with over 300 000 miles all on original motor and tranny
  5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

A family thing here too. Chevys or GMCs as long as I can remember. I've gotten weak and bought a few Fords, but came back home. I must have done something wrong, my son drives a Dodge!
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I owned a 2005 F150 FX4 with the 5.4 Triton. After having it for about a year I bought an 8,000 pound trailer for camping. I soon realized that 1/2 ton trucks were underpowered for that load. I went down to the Ford dealer and test drove the 2008 F250 with the new diesel. It was OK. I then went to a freinds dealership (he is the maint. director) and drove the GMC. Huge difference! Much more power at all ranges of throttle plus a lot more bells and whistles. Each truck stickered about the same and and Ford wasn't budging on the price that much. Needless to say GM gave one heck of a final price, much more options and a better warranty plus a better powertrain history. Glad I made the switch.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My first truck was a 1962 GMC 3/4 truck. I just found some photos that I'll get up here when I get them scanned.
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My first truck was a 1965 GMC. GM's have run in my family and pretty much what I have always driven (besides 2 short stints in Toyota's and a 1971 Charger-but always had GM's at the same time) and when we bought a 2001 Suburban for my Wife and loved it, I knew I wanted a Silverado for my next vehicle. The Duramax was pretty much taking the diesel market by storm so I concentrated on finding the perfect package. I'm so glad I did!
  9. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It wasn't family that pulled me to Chevy. My Dad and brother both drive Fords, but we did used to have an old Chevy Blazer (not sure what year...late 70's I think) and an early 80's model custom van. I wanted a Silverado ever since I was 14 or 15. I've just always liked them, and always heard they were good, reliable trucks. I'm never looking back!
  10. occupant

occupant New Member

I have yet to own a Silverado/Sierra or C/K pickup truck. I have owned two 3/4 ton Suburbans (84 and 88), but I would be happier with a 98-99 model. As far as pickup trucks go, I won't buy a half ton regular cab pickup truck unless it is a 1967-1972 Ford F-100. 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups I also have to say Ford, 99+ Super Duty. But for half ton extended cabs, the 99-06 Silverado and Sierra with the 5.3 engine are the way to go.

When I was a fresh high school graduate I did consider buying a new 1995 Cheyenne extended cab short bed, 305/5-speed. But I couldn't qualify without $3K down. So I ended up spending my $900 cash on a 1967 F-100 with a 302/C4, glasspacks, Mustang buckets, Sun Super Tach, and Cragar Super Spokes. The rest is history and those bumpsides are the only truck I want for street use.