1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What grade of gas do you run in your chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by repley81, Apr 24, 2013.

1. repley81

repley81 Member

Like the question asks, what grade do you use and why.

I use premium. Figured a premium truck needs premium gas lol
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

A constantly revolcing debate...

I run 87 Octane. The basic, recommend for my truck. It's by no mean "high performance" so it doesn't need high-octane gas.
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Read your owners manual and you will discover what fuel you need to run.

Run whatever the owners manual states the engine needs. You have a Sierra Denali, they only come with the 6.2L engine and therefore you MUST run at least 91 octane or better.

It's not that it's a "premium" truck, just that the 6.2L engine reguires higher octane fuel.

My 5.3L engine requires 87 or better octane. Running 93 gives you nothing other than spending more at the pump. I don't care what someone's uncle, niece, grandfather, etc. says. Premium does not contain magic stuff to transform an engine that requires 87 octane into a 500HP beast. Also, if you require 87 octane, running 93 will NOT give you better fuel economy, no matter what Billy Bob says.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

I run premium... I have a performance tune that requires 92 or better octane.
  5. seph

seph New Member

This is one I've seen a number of folks have pretty strong attitudes about and have never known anyone to change their minds much. I know a few people who really focus on grades and or brands of gas, with many others who are the opposite. Its like most things...its what ever you are most comfortable with and what seems to get the results you are looking for in your trucks.

Gas is something I'm pretty finicky about. I worked at then ran a Sohio station for years which was owned by a small Chevrolet dealer which gave me some unique (though a bit outdated) views on both sides. The manuals do give the suggested level of gas, but that is the minimum the car will properly run on. Whether or not a higher grade will produce higher mileage is something you have to check for your self. Some cars do...others don't.

With the exception of my kids cars (old, high mileage, and hand-me-downs) I run premium in all my vehicles. Its not so much for any higher mileage, even though a few of my cars do get a small bump of 2-3mpg with it, as it is for the added cleaners and what not. On top of the grade of gas, I also try to use specific brands so the blends are fairly consistent. My #1 is Shell, #2 is BP, #3 is Sunoco...past that its almost always going to be I'm in the middle of nowhere and need something or I'll be walking. :money:
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I run regular. I have run premium in the past because a friend insisted that it gives better fuel economy. I did notice a slight increase in mpg. 1mpg. Not worth it in my opinion. When I worked in the garage I noticed that the mid grade was the tank that never had to be filled. Maybe once for every five the other two were filled. No one ever bought it. It was either premium or regular that was purchased. So, I will never run midgrade as I like to call it "old gas" that has sat in the tank forever.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I run a custom Diablew tune that is tweaked to maximize mpg on 87 octane, so that's what I run. I buy 87 octane pure gasoline (as opposed "ethanol-enriched" gasoline that contains "up to 10% ethanol") any time I can get it ... and am of the opinion that THAT (pure gasoline instead of 'ethanol-enriched' gasoline) makes a more substantive difference than gas grade, these days.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Just to toss a little real world into the debate, and to respond to a "gas grade" thread from a while back, I tried the following last weekend. 400 miles each way. Started with a full tank, reset and used the DIC.

The "away" direction, I started with a near empty tank and filled with 91 octane My truck generally gives pretty good gas mileage, however, this tank averaged only 17.8 mpg.

The "return" trip (same 400 miles), I filled with 87 octane and reset the DIC. For this trip, the truck gave me 20.3 mpg.

Same roads, started at sea level, drove to sea level, returned to the starting sea level. The weather was the same, the time of day was the same. I drove the entire time, and I drove the same speed (70 to 75 mph).

Of course, I did not fill at the same pumps, that and the octane were the only differences.
  9. LBAR1

LBAR1 New Member

Using the Regular 87 octane since my custom DiabLew tune is set up for it and the truck is my DD.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Not necessarily true. Wind makes a huge difference when you are driving something with the aerodynamic properties of a cinder block, like like our trucks ... and you didn't mention wind direction or speed in either case.

I've actually noticed substantive (1-3) mpg losses in 20-40 mph winds when I'm running against them. So, you'd really need to repeat that round trip (using the same fill-up points on each end, same driving techniques, same traffic conditions, etc.) multiple times. Once done, average across it and toss out any obvious outliers to get a solid feel for what could be expected in the real world.

Why? Your one round-trip run might, itself, be an outlier...