1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What grade of gas do you run in your chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by repley81, Apr 24, 2013.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Member

I switched to 89 pure gas about 2 months ago and I can definitely feel and difference. I don't think there was much of an mpg increase but the engine runs "stronger" and smoother. I won't be going back. I do the same with my boat only pure gas goes in it.
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I dropped regular gas and moved to JP-7 for my engine. JP-7 burns hotter, cleaner and gives me better mileage.
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

just a tidbit of information on octane ratings.... octane ratings are deceiving. the higher the octane rating of fuel... the lower evaporative properties of the fuel. This is to decrease the chance of predetination of fuel in high compression/performance engines... due to higher heat etc. during compression cycle which can ignite the fuel prematurely causing engine knock... and possible engine damage. Its also advantageous to use higher octane fuel when pulling heavy loads... :)))
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Good point, the wind is a big factor. The other thing that I can not control, at this time of the year, is winter/summer blends and the amount of alcohol in the gas.

I agree completely. sometimes moving up a little will smooth a rough running engine. The problem is usually spark knock and the PCM adjusting the spark to try and stop the knocking.

Most times, this can be fixed by using a different fuel brand and staying at 87.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

You are wasting your money on running premium in a regular unleaded engine.

Agree, gasoline contains more energy than alcohol. My problem is there are no ethanol free service stations around my area, and the ones that are only use premium unleaded.

That is in your head. People feel the need to justify their additional expense and their mind fabricates things. Sorry if I offended you, but a friend of mine is a psychologist.
  6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

How do you know he is not gaining any benefit? Maybe his engine is in need of a tune up... timing may be advanced or even carbon build up (older engine) causing predetonation or other issue the 89 octane fuel is compensating for. Sorry but it annoys me when people just throw your wasting you money on other fuel grades when their are circumstances when people will benefit.
  7. blackburb

blackburb Member

I agree 100%. I run ethanol free as much as I can in every ice I own. Regular or premium, I don't care. I'll pay the "premium" price to get the ethanol free. Great website on ethanol free stations: http://pure-gas.org/

I also run this "additive": http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/
  8. RayVoy

9. blackburb

blackburb Member

There's no data to support the dozens of additives on the shelves of the parts stores either and they're a hell of lot more expensive. FTC sued Zmax over 10 years ago for claims they couldn't substantiate. They still got Carroll Shelby to pitch their crap. Lost all respect for the man when he did that.
  10. RayVoy

You sound like your agreeing with me, yet you use an unproven "additive"

The refiners could produce gasoline with a little more "oil" (heavy distillates). The gasoline of old is refined to remove all lower scale products. This is a more expensive process. Yes, it is done to meet EPA requirements, but it must also meet engine specs.