What grade of gas do you run in your chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by repley81, Apr 24, 2013.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I wish I could get ethanol free but I live in the great state of Commiefornia (ok there are like 4 stations but they are 600+ miles north of my location).

I also use TC-W3 like [MENTION=21608]blackburb[/MENTION] and 87 octane

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

TC-W3 is a specification for 2-cycle oil. The engine in my truck is a 4 stroke engine not requiring oil to be mixed with the gas. This sounds absolutely preposterous to use 2 cycle oil in a 4 stroke engine.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with you! I was also pretty skeptical about it. I started running it with a 1 ounce to 5 gallon ratio 3 tanks ago. My idle has smoothed out significantly. It was enough that my wife asked what I had done to the truck because she always commented on the rough idle. I drive the same routes and fill up at the same gas station every time. I have noticed an increase in my city mpg from 16.6mpg to 17.5 mpg over the last 3 tanks. I am sure that some other factors contributed to this like wind and temperature. So far it has worked for me. My truck has 150,000 miles on it and had 136,000 when I bought it. I always hated the way it idled. As of now I am happy with the results. If something changes I will be sure to let everyone know.

4. dsfloyd

you do it at a 1 oz per 5gallon mix so not like its a 20:1 ratio (its actually a 640:1 ratio). So its a small amount and adds detergents to the gas. Been using it for a few years now, pulled my injectors a little while back when I had to replace something and they were nice and clean at close to 100k miles (at that time). Its also a premium ashless marine formula (the tc-w3 not just any 2 stroke oil). But as with any additive, detergent etc, could it all be snake oil? Sure it could.

5. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I was unaware that 2-cycle oil contained detergents. If 2 cycle oil does contain detergents, then it probably cleaned out [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26043]dsfloyd[/MENTION] fuel injectors. Would not Lucas fuel treatment have done the same thing?

6. Pikey

I am not super well versed on the subject. But, I do not think that the lucas has lubricating properties like the Tc-w3 does. Again, I could be wrong. All I know is that I have run seafoam, lucas, and multiple other "fuel system cleaners" thru my tank and never had results like I have this time. I am happy to see a little added mpg, I am most happy about the smooth idle.

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], I'm sitting here shaking my head, but I'm going to try it. I have a little hang on my throttle, I lift my foot to come to a stop and the drive by wire won't let the rpms drop off like they use to, I'm thinking a dirty throttle body and I was going to pull it and clean it. This might be a good test.

8. dsfloyd

Yes lucas would do it to, but when a 1 gallon bottle of TC-W3 can be had for $15-20 and you use 3-4 ounces a fill its much cheaper.

Also you want to make sure that it is the TC-W3 marine and not just standard 2 stroke oil

9. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Actually several. As I mentioned earlier, the 2-stroke oil additive is much, much cheaper than "specialty" additives. As far as data, you need to go back to the LS1 forum link I gave before. A substantial amount of real world testing has been done on this, and the results are always positive. Maybe a little boost in mpg, but always cleaner plugs, injectors and entire fuel system. Those guys are certified car nuts who put the time and effort into trying numerous different products in their personal vehicles over quite a long time. They have no vested interest and no monetary gain from endorsing the product they found to work. I will believe them and their results (which I'm glad to see members here are confirming) over the marketing drivel that's slapped on the bottles that sit on store shelves.

10. Pikey

The throttle body will not be cleaned with this method, just injectors.