What happened to chat?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rileyjr16, Apr 15, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I was MIA for a while just curious as to what happened to the chat feature?

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Filthy little hackers broke it.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I'd like to shoot them....why do tards have to hack everything? Is that like a sexual thrill for some geek who cain't get laid or something?

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It was taken down temporarily while Steve puts the old system back into place.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wonder if the chat plugin was actually the cause or if Steve is simply searching for something better while he goes through this exercise. I get the sense the cause is unknown but that Steve was never completely happy with that plugin... and that while he's at it he might as well find a replacement. Just a suspicion...

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I figured out what the hackers did and how they did it and we are putting steps into place to keep it from happening again.

We should do a poll on here, what do people like, the current chat system or the old chat system?

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On the new chat system I liked the popout feature, the ability to colour text, the ability to start private chat rooms, and the ability to have individual chats (on the bar ... without starting a separate chat room). I think it hands-down trumped the old chat system except for one thing -- it has a session timeout of some sort that comes into place if you use the chat in pop-out mode and you do not refresh your browser for some time. When it times out you have to refresh a GMTC window to make chat work again ... and you lose the displayed chat history when you do it.

I think the default chat room is now as empty as it is because the new system doesn't dump people into the default room, anymore.

8. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

X2 on what surreal said that time out drives me up the ******* wall now if we can keep the knew one and all the cool featurs and get rid of the time out then it would be heaven

9. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

3rd that!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Haha...I think it is a sense of accomplishment for them. Almost like they solved the puzzle. I think they do it just to see if they can do it.

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Why does a person climb a mountain? Why do Chevy truck owners run through the puddle , rather than around it? . Does a tree make a sound when falling if there is no one there to hear it? Chicken crossing the road?:rofl: