Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ordered the parts for my replacement "under hood" work light yesterday. I hope I will be able to have the parts in a week to install. It's going to be all LED with a manual on/off switch...... the gravity switch ain't happening.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I replaced my backup camera yesterday since the crack in the lens caused the first one to get water damaged. It's nice to be able to see the small cars that can hide behind my truck again.

I've also been working on building a set of projector fog lights. I picked up a pair of fog light projectors from a 1997 Audi A6 for $6 at the junkyard, put some 100W H3 bulbs in them and now I'm mounting them into my factory fog lights. They're really bright, won't glare other drivers and put out a really nice useful beam pattern. The first one is almost done. I'll post pictures soon.
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

pulled my ranch hand grill guard off and my lower valance, trying to motivate myself to start my prerunner bumper project
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I ordered the following lighting accessories, today:
    * Rigid Dually D2 Flush Mount LEDs (set of two - wide beam pattern)
    * Rigid 10" SR-Series Specter LED Light bar (set of two - 5100 lumen driving pattern)
  5. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

I got a little crazy on some beautification projects on Saturday, Took off some ugly door molding that was rusted and made my truck ugly, taking the adhesive off was terrible but way worth it. Then i took off all the pinstriping on the side and dealer decal on the tailgate. Took out my grill assembly and taped off the chrome and painted parts and painted the grill itself gloss black and made it look awesome. Needless to say my '04 silverado is a sleek shiny beauty now.
  6. pmf608

Here's a teaser picture of my fog light project. I should have the first one pretty much done today if all goes well. I'll post more about this project once I have them both done.
    [​IMG]
  7. PantheraUncia

Started testing my replacement under hood light setup......

Here is a picture of the "junk" that GM used...... You can buy these at the dealer for $120

[​IMG]

This is the direction I am taking:

[​IMG]

In that picture I am just making sure that the lights will actually work and it sure looks like they do :lol: If I use the complete reel of LED's I will be sitting at around 5100 lumens, which is more than halogen high beams which are about 2500-3000 lumens or just under 3 x 100 watt incandescent blubs or 3 x 26 watt daylight compact fluorescent bulbs.

Reel of LED's $35. On/Off Switch.... $5.95.... Heat shrink tube (if I end up using it) $2, Factory quick connect pigtail... I got mine free.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow, that should look pretty sweet when you finish it. Be sure to post some pics. I would love to do that to my truck, but there is no factory under hood light. I guess that I could just wire the entire thing. Where did you get the reel of LEDs?

- - - Updated - - -

When you finish would you mind posting some details about the project? I am interested in doing the same to mine, I have no idea where to start. My fogs only use tiny 880 bulbs
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. PantheraUncia

Hi Pikey,

I ordered directly from http://www.hitlights.com/. I found them on Amazon first, but they did not have all the "individual" parts I was looking for as I am going to be ordering some RGB reels also.

I went with the "High Density" (300 LED's) on a 16.4ft reel in 6000k daylight with IP65 waterproof/water resistant housing.

[TABLE="width: 7"]
    [TR]
    [TD]LS5050_CW300_WP[/TD]
    [TD]Flexible LED Light Strip - SMD 5050 - Cool White - Weatherproof (IP 65) and High Density[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]5050CONNTW[/TD]
    [TD]LED Strip-to-Strip Connector - SMD 5050 And SMD 3528 (3-Color) - Any Angle - 4 pack[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

It looks like they also carry some that are IP68 which can be used in swimming pools, hot tubs, etc.

I think the photo I posted shows them a little brighter than they actually are, but they are bright and they do work.

In 2000, the trucks came with under hood lights s my wiring was already there. I did a line mans splice and put a 9005 headlight quick connect on it after removing the factory hood light that stopped working. and then took the other end of the quick connect and line man spliced it into the led strip.

I should have time this weekend to start and finish the project, I will be taking pics along the way and posting a guide.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. pmf608

When you finish would you mind posting some details about the project? I am interested in doing the same to mine, I have no idea where to start. My fogs only use tiny 880 bulbs[/QUOTE]

I'll do that. I have the first one almost done, and the second one shouldn't take nearly as long now that I'm familiar with it. The projectors I used have tiny little h3 bulbs but the 100W H3 bulbs I'm using only cost $6 each and put out a lot of light. And its all focused on the road, not all over the place.

**For getting a general idea of how to do projector retrofits, go check out the hidplanet.com forum. Its a forum dedicated to people who do lighting projects, and most of them are installing HID projectors in normal headlights so they can have HIDs with no glare.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.