1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 95C1500

95C1500 Member

finished installing my lift woo hoo
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

Found out the projectors I mounted into my fog lights are too hot for the shrouds I built. The heat from the projectors melted both shrouds. On one side, the shroud fell off and is just sitting in the light housing now and the shroud on the other side just has a hole melted in it.
  3. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* New Member

auxiliary cord

I installed an auxiliary cord from the back of my iSimple and then I cleaned my whole truck. Now I just need to buy a little cap to make the hole I drilled look cleaner and more professional looking. I also took some pictures of the I simple that I installed in my truck a few months ago. I thought I took some pictures of it before but I didn't so here you go. The best part about the iSimple to me is that its never in my way. I'm not as pleased with the auxiliary cord but I had no other choice as it was so short and it came with the iSimple and takes a certain connection to work. All in all I think it looks alright

IMG_20130106_163250.jpg IMG_20130106_163228.jpg IMG_20130106_163159.jpg IMG_20130106_163313.jpg IMG_20130106_163350.jpg
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Replaced the bulb in the driver's side fog light housing.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Installed new bulbs in the tail lights, wow does it make a diffrence really bright and the whole housing lights up like it is suppose to.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

drove it back from visiting minnesota. beyond that nothing. tomorrow its gonna get a bath!

Alex
  7. Toymyster

Toymyster New Member

Hmmmm, Let's see, Topped off the coolant, trans fluid, and transfer case oil, took off and cleaned the front grill, finish fabricating the new front cross member, finished running the wiring under the hood, painting the lower part of the doors, installed the airbox, and a few other stuff! :great:
  8. SurrealOne

I worked on my engine driven compressor/on board air project, today (Saturday), and did the following:
    • Determined mount location for my custom Bussmann relay box
    • Revised auxiliary battery cabling to allow for mounting in my chosen location
    • Tested to make sure I didn't bork anything while re-cabling!
    • Constructed a bracket template for use in fabricating a 1/8" steel bracket to hold the Bussmann relay box
    • Determined the lenghts for the main positive and negative cables to the Bussmann relay box and then created and connected these to the relay box so that it's ready for bolt-in when the bracket fabrication and painting is complete
    • Installed EasyID fuses in the relay box (10amp for my rear LEDS, 15 amp for the front LEDs, and 20 amp for the compressor clutch)
    • Determined mount and bolt-up location for the coalescing filter and commenced bracket planning for the filter
    • Determined mount and bolt-up location for the under-hood manifold and commenced bracket planning for the manifold
    • Ordered a portable air tank manifold with an inlet valve in order to pressure test my tanks prior to mounting in their carrier, next week

I need to get my LEDs installed at the nose and tail of the truck but there's just not enough daylight left this weekend to get either end of the truck done, so I suppose it's more OBA work, tomorrow. Maybe I can get the tanks sealed and interconnected ... and find a place for the aft manifold. *shrug*

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Sunday) I elected to skip on board air system tank work because it was still warm outside and I can do tank work in the shop when it's cold. To that end I worked on two projects (my on board air project and my Rigid Dually D2 installation) under the truck, as follows:
    • Cut a length of red 12ga wire long enough to run along the passenger side frame rail from the intended Bussmann relay box install location in the engine compartment to top dead center above my rear license plate
    • Placed said red 12ga wire in a 1/4" conduit and wrapped said conduit in electrical tape
    • Secured the protected 12ga wire along the frame rail with wire ties for use next weekend
    • Located an existing frame bolt near the rear of the vehicle that could serve as a good ground
    • Removed said bolt, stripped the area immediately around it to bare metal and cleaned up the bolt, itself
    • Cut a length of black 12ga wire long enough to run from the new ground location to top dead center above my rear licence plate
    • Added a terminal ring to one end of the black 12ga wire, crimped it, soldered it, and applied heat shrink tubing
    • Protected the black 12ga wire in the same manner as the red one, secured the ring to the new ground location, routed the new ground wire, and wire tied it into place for use next weekend
    • Completed covered the stripped surfaces of the new ground location with dielectric grease to provide protection from the elements
    • Determined the mounting location for the on board air system's rear manifold, made a manifold template, and used the template to properly place and drill two 3/16 holes in the passenger side frame rail
    • Determined the mounting location for the on board air system's rear quick disconnect, drilled two 1/4" holes to allow a bulkhead bracket to be mounted, and then bolted the bulkhead bracket into place
    • Removed the overhead console to allow for indoor electrical and switch work, this week, as it gets cold

Here's the new ground prior to being covered in dielectric grease:
    NewGround.jpg

Here's the quick disconnect and bulkhead bracket after installation (rear bumper is to the right):
    OBAQuickDisconnect_Mount1.jpg

Here's what it looks like at eye level from behind the truck (note the cover hanging down):
    OBAQuickDisconnect_Mount2.jpg

Here's what it looks like with a hose connected:
    OBAQuickDisconnect_Mount3.jpg

And here's what it looks like at eye level with the protective dust/moisture cap in place:
    OBAQuickDisconnect_Mount4.jpg
  9. Toymyster

Toymyster New Member

That is great Surreal, I have to figure out compressed air for my beast. :great:
    Saturday: finished putting on the exhaust and put the dash back in, and drove her about 75 miles on Sunday. I guess I can call my engine swap done! Going to finish putting the HVAC ducts in and wire my temp gauge in using a second coolant temp sensor. It's all little stuff after that. Next, getting the A/C and cruise control to work. :party:
  10. SurrealOne

I'd have been done long ago if I wanted an electric compressor for something like air horns or just airing up tires. Going with an engine-driven unit that can crank out as much as 10CFM so that I can run air tools ... well, there's a lot more to that ... and a lot of it is fabrication work. I'm about 6 months into the project, so far, and just beginning to see visible progress since I have most of the parts. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.