1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Drove 50 miles to the family lake house in an ice storm. Upon arrival, moved vehicles out of the 2-car garage, put my truck in catty-corner (so it'd fit), and fired up a 50,000-80,000 btu propane heater to raise the ambient garage temperature enough to thaw the ice off my truck. I then spent two hours periodically sweeping ice and water out of the garage. I should be able to work on the truck, tomorrow, despite the cold and ice, now.
  2. Scooter

Scooter New Member

So how much for you to make me one of these, thats badass.....
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member

Installed a new battery...
  4. rbramhill

rbramhill New Member

today i got the alignment done on my truck and realized my truck is a hog on gas with this cold weather and new 285 tires :no:
  5. SurrealOne

Thanks! As far as making one -- the materials alone (including the digital gauge, the switches, and the back plate) are a few hundred bucks. And that doesn't include things like wire, solder, and my time.
  6. Stevessilver10

Stevessilver10 New Member

Had to go auto store to get some windshield fluid so I figured I'd buy led lights for the interior .. They do look a lot nicer then stock ones
  7. SurrealOne

Across the last three days I did a bunch of things to my truck...

Overhead console prep:
    • Removed mini overhead console from truck
    • Removed the Homelink system from a TAN full-length overhead console bought on Ebay
    • Added the Homelink system to a GRAY full-length overhead console bought on Ebay
    • Extended and marked Homelink wires for electrical tie-in to a custom harness
    • Replaced map light buttons in GRAY full-length overhead console with those from my mini overhead console
    • Re-assembled unused (TAN and MINI) overhead consoles in preparation to put the un-needed parts up on Ebay
    • Cut a hole in the headliner to allow for the installation of the GRAY full-length overhead console
    • Performed test fitment of GRAY full-length overhead console

Overhead wiring harness prep:
    • Crafted 5-lead connector housing for FRONT LIGHTS toggle switch (SPST)
      • all leads colour-coded
      • all connector terminals soldered
      • relay trigger wire crafted using M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on wire from engine bay
    • Crafted 5-lead connector housing for REAR LIGHTS toggle switch (SPST)
      • all leads colour-coded
      • relay trigger wire crafted using M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on wire from engine bay
    • Crafted 5-lead connector housing for COMPRESSOR toggle switch (SPST)
      • all leads colour-coded
    • Crafted 8-lead connector housing for HORN toggle switch (SPDT)
      • all leads colour-coded
      • input wire from horn relay pin 30, OEM horn trigger wire, and air horn trigger wire allcrafted using M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on wire from engine bay
    • Crafted 4-lead pigtail for Odyssey digital air pressure gauge
      • sending unit wire crafted using M disconnects to allow mating with F connector on wire from engine bay
    • Crafted 3-lead pigtail for Homelink system using F disconnects to allow mating with M connector on +12v, dim, and grnd wires from harness
    • Connected +12v IGN wires from the four aforementioned connectors, the Odyssey gauge, and the Homelink system together and added a lead with a M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on a +12v IGN wire from in-cab fuse box
    • Connected dimmer wires from the four aforementioned connectors, the Odyssey gauge, and the Homelink system together and added a lead with a M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on a +12v dimmer wire from a tap at the dimmer switch in the cab
    • Connected common ground wires from the four aforementioned connectors, the Odyssey gauge, and the Homelink system together and added a lead with a M disconnect to allow mating with F connector on a common ground crafted near the in-cab fuse box

Wiring work:

• Tapped the +12v IGN fuse at the in-cab fuse box and ran a lead with a F connector to the overhead console; connected to appropriate M connector on custom harness
    • Tapped the +12v dimmer wire at the dimmer switch in the cab and ran a lead with a F connector to the overhead console; connected to appropriate M connector on custom harness
    • Crafted a common ground near the in-cab fuse box and ran a lead with a F connector to the overhead console; connected to appropriate M connector on custom harness
    • Crafted and marked three horn leads with F connectors for future HORN relay work
      • connected appropriately at overhead console
      • routed through firewall
      • stored/secured three 20' coils for later work
    • Crafted and marked sending unit lead with F connector for future Odyssey air pressure gauge work
      • routed through firewall
      • stored/secured 20' coil for later work
    • Crafted and marked COMPRESSOR relay trigger lead with F connector for future air compressor work
      • routed through firewall to custom Bussmann relay box
      • connected to appropriate trigger wire lead on Bussmann box
    • Crafted and marked FRONT LIGHTS relay trigger lead with F connector for future front LED work
    • Crafted and marked REAR LIGHTS relay trigger lead with F connector
      • incorporated a 3amp diode to prevent current flow from the reverse circuit (once connected)
      • tapped the reverse circuit at the BCM and incorporated a 3amp diode to prevent current flow from the relay trigger wire (once connected)
      • connected the reverse circuit lead to the REAR LIGHTS relay trigger wire
      • tested to make sure both diodes were working properly to prevent current
      • Checked to make sure bumper-mounted Dually D2's were activated when REAR LIGHTS toggle switch was on
      • Checked to make sure bumper-mounted Dually D2's were activated when vehicle was placed in reverse
      • Checked to make sure REAR LIGHTS toggle switch and reverse circuit were not interfering with one another

Overhead console assembly:

• Removed gauge and toggle switches from toggle switch plate
    • Further trimmed toggle switch plate since the full-length overhead console openings are smaller than the mini-overhead console
    • Installed toggle switch plate into GRAY full-length overhead console and applied black silicon adhesive to back side to prevent possible vibrations/rattling when the stereo is cranked up
    • Installed switches and gauge into switch plate after adhesive was sufficiently cured
    • Connected the connector housings and pigtails described in the 'overhead wiring harness prep' section, above, to the appropriate toggle switches, gauge, and Homelink
    • Checked proper function of toggle switches, gauge, and Homelink
    • Installed GRAY full-length overhead console in truck

Notes:
    • All M/F terminals soldered and heat shrunk
    • All M/F connections wrapped in black electrical tape and then wrapped again in colour-coded electrical tape that matched the colour-coding of my wires
    • All wires labeled at strategic location just in case I don't remember my colour coding N years from now
    • I -DID NOT- take pics of this detailed work during the process, as there's nothing sexy about wire bundles, soldered connections, etc. Besides, this was already slow enough ... I can't imagine slowing it down more with pics.
    • Pics of the finished product to follow when time permits.
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Another novel by [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]. LOL
    I can't wait to see this panel installed.
  9. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

Moved my truck away from debris field of incoming storm! Brace yourself east and northeast of here!
  10. SurrealOne

I've been doing double work duty, today, to catch up on critical deliverables for Wednesday, so still no pics. (Sorry, pics take a back seat to work, especially if doing a double, today, means I don't have to burn a discretionary day for Monday!)

The LEDs are bright enough that even when dimmed at the level I like they're still very visible from outside the cab at night -- through my ludicrously dark rear window tint. I hadn't really considered that, but when I was unloading the bed Monday night and noticed it ... it made me smile. It'll be even cooler when I turn the gauge on. (It's programmed but I have all leads to it disconnected because if the sending unit is not in place it reads ERR, which is annoying!)

I don't know how well this will photograph at night, so I'm thinking perhaps we do another local GTG after I have my twin 10" LED bars installed up front -- nevermind that it's a good excuse for a beer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.