What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Today I met with the mechanical engineer and machinist who are designing and fabricating the three brackets for use under my hood in my on board air project. We altered the previously-discussed design of the compressor bracket after reviewing potential fitment problems -- and might have a model as early as next week. We planned out the coalescing filter bracket (arguably the easiest of the three), and also designed and modeled the air manifold bracket.

To get an idea of what kind of work we're doing, part number 35 in this diagram is a M8 thread size flange nut. There are two studs protruding from the firewall that use this nut. For the front air manifold bracket we will remove these nuts and replace them with a set of elongated, threaded 1/2" diameter studs made to spec ... to support a flat aluminum plate to which the air manifold will be bolted.
    [​IMG]

Here's an overhead shot from the 3D model. The air manifold is shown in gold while the elongated studs and flat aluminum plate that comprise the bracket we're fabricating are shown in gray.
    manifold_bracket.jpg

Note:
    @Conlan Rose,
    You expressed interest in this project, hence the detail level of this post. I'd have uploaded the 3D PDF model as an attachment so that you could download it and then zoom into or even rotate it, but @Steve apparently has PDF's limited to 78.1KB ... and this -tiny- 3D model is 84.0KB, so I can't share it, here. Hence the best I could do was a photo. I tried, though...

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Thank you very much [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] it look really cool. Looks like your taking some diagrams from my gen of trucks lol.

3. SurrealOne

[MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION],
    I just needed a diagram that showed the studs on the firewall and the nuts so that I could reference the mount point and the location in a way someone reading this could understand. It was 'close enough' to give you an idea of the location where the front air manifold is going and how it's being attached.

Space under my hood is EXTREMELY limited due to my aux battery, isolator, 300 amp ANL fuses and studs, Bussmann relay box, etc. ... so I'm having to get creative on the placement of things. The mechanical engineer remarked how nothing about this is proving to be simple ... specifically because our spatial options are pretty restricted.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We need to archive this and make a 2013 thread with the same name. #justsayin

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Today I picked my truck up from the trans shop after having a new T-case installed under warranty (kind of)! I have to say that I am amazed on how smoothly a t-case can shift. My 95 had a floor shifter for the t-case, it was "clunky" while engaging, my 03 and 05 had push buttons and the shift still felt "clunky". With the new t-case in my 05 I can not even feel it shift into 4wd. (Yes, it is engaging)

6. James4012

James4012 Member

Some sorry Ford owner must have sabotaged your truck!

7. Johnny_Buchanan

Johnny_Buchanan Rockstar 100 Posts

Checked fluids, had to add some coolant and filled the tank. Fetched some firewood, went to gym and gave a lift to a woman who had gotten stranded after her Trans Sport died on her.

-J

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

8. SurrealOne

Loaded the truck with another bed full of stuff bound for storage, drove 1.5 hours, and unloaded. Next I stopped by the family lake house and, while there, I installed a Power Magic Pro unit behind the glove box.

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Installed a Pioneer avic-x940bt in dash navigation system and accele backup camera. Now I can see the cars that disappear about 10 feet away when backing up:lol:
    [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] cant wait to see your project when finished.

10. SurrealOne

@dsfloyd,
    Sadly my OBA project's been held up, again -- this time by a pinhole leak in the transfer case caused by the dreaded pump rub issue. The truck's on a lift right now with the t-case removed ... and gets a new aftermarket clip and t-case half in the morning.

Love the sig pic, by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.