1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Attempted to refill my AC system but the high side schrader valve stuck open and absolutely would not jiggle shut. I spoke to a stealership, as the high side port did not appear serviceable. An OEM replacement is 81 bucks and is in stock, locally ... and requires replacement of the entire line from the condensor to the connection near the low side. (This also means grille removal and the like to replace the line.)

The worst part about the situation is there's a TSB out for this .. and the replacement part STILL DOES NOT have a serviceable valve. WTF? If you know there's a problem then design a part that fixes it ... or design serviceability into the replacement solution.

Sometimes GM makes me mad...
  2. workman482

workman482 New Member

Hello Surrealone, I have ran into this problem when doing a a/c service a customer's vehicle. At first I tbought the only option was to replace the entire line due to the unservicable port, but I found the a auto parts store sells a valve that screws onto the top of that one and it has a serviceable schrader valve. I think it might have been autozone, but it's been about a year since I've needed to use one. Saved the customer about $80.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't do all of this in the course of a day, more like a week of afternoons. Lol. Bought my truck about two weeks ago and noticed the parking brake wasn't holding the truck and the brakes weren't grabbing as hard as tbey were supposed to. Broke down and took the wheels off to find msjor rust pitting on all four rotors, also found uneven wear on the pads due to some rust scaling on the caliper brackets.
    I ended up replacing all four rotors, front and rear pads, new brake hardware on the front and rear, cleaned and adjusted the rear parking brakes, tbe pitman arm, steering stabilizer, and four new BFG all terrain ko's. Now he rides and brakes like new.:happy:

Not exactly one day, but it was all done within the last week.
  3. SurrealOne

I already bought the replacement part, but will remember this if the problem manifests again. Thanks!
  4. LBAR1

LBAR1 New Member

Had the windows tinted this morning.

[​IMG]
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

looks good! I applied another coat of turtle wax extreme shield wax after washing the truck and then did a full interior detail (minus the steam cleaning of the floor). I then realized that I wax it almost every time I wash it lately! Oh well, I will strip all the wax off in the early summer and start again.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. SurrealOne

Installed the replacement HVAC line between the condensor and the accumulator. The stuck high side shrader valve is no more. However, I didn't refill the refrigerant (and instead just drew a vacuum on the system and closed it off) because I'm going to have to remove the nut holting the tube in place again.

Why? Well, the part is shaped different from the original ... and that means the studs and mount plate I had made to hold my front air manifold in place.. won't work. The new part has things in the way since it's bent differently. ARGH.

All of this due to a stuck schrader valve that was not serviceable. A failed, unserviceable 8 dollar part is costing me hundreds. GM makes me mad, sometimes...
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Towed around a trailer and now my right side flasher isn't working..... Got major hyper-flash because the rear light isn't blinking, but it is illuminated. Bulbs are brand new like I installed two or three months ago. They are silverstar bulbs rated at over 200 hours and there's no why I've driven and used the flasher that many hours.
  8. workman482

workman482 New Member

Sorry I wasn't fast enough with my reply. Here is the part:
    autozone.com/autozone/parts/Santech-A-C-System-Valve-Core-and-Cap-Kit/2003-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-4WD/_/N-jk5b2Z91uan?itemIdentifier=947262_0_9289_

I know it's not a sponsor website but I couldn't find it on any of them.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Installed my gauge cluster that just came back from being repaired at DrSpeedometer.com, everything works great!! It's great to know how fast I am going again.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I lied they are LongLife bulbs from Sylvania rated at over 2000 hours so wtf why is it dead.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.