What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Today I:
    • Removed the grille and front bumper
    • Removed the transmission cooler
    • Fabricated 4 polymer spacers for the Shocker XL's
    • Fabricated 4 (different) bell supports for the Shocker XL's
    • Painted the bell supports
    • Installed the Shocker XL's to the main mounting bracket
    • Installed the main mounting bracket (with bells) and bell supports into the nose of the truck
    • Installed a 1/2"OD compression fitting to the upstream port of an electric air valve for the Shocker XL's
    • Installed a 4-port manifold for the Shocker XL's to the downstream port of the electric air valve
    • Installed the electric air valve (w/ manifold) for the Shocker XL's into the nose of the truck
    • Fashioned a new ground point for the electric valve and connected one lead of the electric valve to it
    • Sized, cut, routed, connected, and zip-tied into place 4 nylon air lines from the 4-port manifold to the Shocker XL's
    • Reinstalled the transmission cooler

The bumper and grille will remain off, for now, so that I can plumb an annealed copper hard line from the front air manifold (in the engine compartment) to the electric air valve and so that I can run switched +!2v to the electric air valve from the horn selector switch in the overhead console. Hopefully that'll be done this weekend, at which point I should be able to reassmble the nose of my truck.

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I started building some sideboards for the flatbed on my Duramax so I can carry things on it without them falling off every time I hit a corner or a bump.

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have to say Surreal, i admire your drive and your follow through. I am probably close to being done on mine. I am thinking about getting a newer Silverado like mine just for work. Good work S......... :glasses:

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Pulled my wheels and tires off and rotated them, while I had them off I bead blasted the backside of the wheels and painted them metalflake charcoal.
    Taped and scuffed all the suspension pieces in the wheel wells the gave them 2 coats primer and 4 coats of Black satin BBQ paint.
    Measured the front valance and bumper opening so I can buy materials to make screen grills for them.
    Polished and clear coated with Zoops clear coat a few bare metal items under the hood that were left raw metal from the factory.

5. SurrealOne

Thanks. I knew the on board air project would be complex ... but I honestly didn't see it taking the better part of a year. I'm at ~8 months from when I first assembled a high level plan of what I wanted the air system to be able to do ... and I've worked on it very regularly. I've learned a lot ... but part of me is kinda sick of it, lol. I want it done so I can enjoy it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm jealous of your blasting cabinet.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Its just a homemade set-up that I found plans for on line, I modified the plans to handle large items.
    Cost less than $200 to build.
    Once I get my computer running again Ill post the plans I used.
    It took about 10 hrs to fab.

7. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Nothing yet, going to meet a potential customer and give a roofing estimate around 10, then have the rest of the day free. Should be a nice day so i am planning on plasti dipping my wheels. I'll post up some pics later.

8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Attempted to install my leveling kit... couldn't the old keys off the torsion bar. They were rusted on... figure I will attempt it again next week... maybe rig up some sort of puller or something. I did get my new front shocks and summer rims and tires installed.

9. SurrealOne

@tbplus10, I need a place to put something like that before plans will do me any good. Right now I am sorta homeless ... as in between homes, not indigent. (I'm stalking a foreclosure and the auction date keeps getting moved. I've been at it 10 months. My lease is up and I moved to a place on a month-to-month basis ... and am basically camping there with minimal assets.)

Once I have a home AND it's renovated, then I'll be looking for one! Thanks, tho!

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i feel your pain I'm back home with my parents for the time being but I found 178 acres up near sky valley that I'm looking into buying. If all goes well ill have it in a few months and ill start building my home. Then a huge barn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.