What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Washed and detailed the outside of the truck and then vacuumed the inside. Also replaced my sill trim screws because they're all destroyed.

2. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Pulled the boat to said above lake and checked trap and had a dozen bream, rebaited and set trap back in the water! Drove home to finish building the 2nd trap. Can't wait until next weekends trip to Lake Cooper for some Wisker Fishies. I'll be pulling the Boat a 100 mi. and back with my Truck...

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

Washed it. Waxed it. Realized looking at my fuel gauge; that those spark plugs I changed a week ago where covered in so much ashe from burned oil that my MPG's has gone up.

We will see how much difference it really makes when I do my normal re-fuel @ about 21-22 gallons (1/4 tank left) and how many miles I got out of 3/4 of a tank.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This morning I pulled my trailer out of its parking spot to loan it to a newb Ford owner who is my parents' neighbor. I brought it out onto their street so it'd be easy for him to hitch up, since they have rock walls on either side of the driveway and it's pretty narrow ... and as I said, he's a newb. Later I chuckled to myself (but was outwardly sympathetic) when said newb brought back my trailer and, a few hours later, asked me if it was damaged because he had just noticed his tailgate (which had been open) was a mess.

We looked ... and my trailer was fine -- one very minor scuff on the 7000lb jack support where his tailgate had struck it. We had to look it up and down to find this, and the only sign was some of his paint on it, as there was no damage ... not even a break or flaking of the powdercoat. His tailgate, on the other hand, which was open so he could haul more stuff (which baffles me, since he left the trailer mostly empty -- then again he's a newb!) was FUBAR. It looks like he took a hard left turn with the gate open, resulting in his Ford tailgate meeting my trailer's jack support and its winder ... and the jack support/winder combo clearly won. The top of his tailgate (when shut) has what's easily a 3" wide downward bend in it that dips from the usual tailgate line a good 2.5" to 3" ... and he also has all kinds of scrapes where the winder met the tailgate face. (My tailgate clears the top of the jack support and winder since I'm lifed, but I never tow with the tailgate down, anyway -- I've always been weird about that.)

I give the guy a lot of credit, by the way, for mentioning that anything had happened and being willing to make it right. But he's still a newb, and still a Ford owner.

Today I ALSO:

• Replumbed the front air manifold to the rear air manifold with 1/2" OD reinforced nylon tubing
    • Replumbed from the front air manifold to the front QD with 1/2" OD reinforced nylon tubing
    • Replumbed from the front air manifold to the air horn valve with 1/2" OD reinforced nylon tubing
    • Replumbed from the front air manifold to the coalescing filter with 1/2" OD reinforced nylon tubing
    • Pressurized the system to 60psi and monitored it for 2 hours, noting loss of 6psi in that time
    • Leak-checked all of the new plumbing and connections and found zero leaks, which logically isolated the issue to the air tank carrier
    • Removed the driveshaft guard plate from the air tank carrier and leak-checked it -- confirming the aforementioned logical isolation
    • Depressurized the system
    • Disconnected and removed the air tank carrier and plugged the manifold ports for it so the truck would be drivable without worry of water entering the air system's plumbing
    • Removed the annealed copper hard line and compression fittings from the equalization line of the air tanks
    • Installed a 90 degree brass push-to-connect fitting in each air tank where the compression fittings had been, then plumbed them with 1/2" OD reinforced nylon tubing
    • Ran out of energy and daylight with which to work... so carrier reinstallation will take place in the next few days (and I might move up a bolt grade for it -- undecided, yet).

I somehow managed to take my Mom to dinner, today, too...

Shortly after I did my custom Bussmann relay box and installed it, I posted pics of my overhead console switch work and this mod. Specifically I posted this photo on January 21, 2013 ... in this very thread:

[​IMG]

As you can see I did some paint work to the bumper, too. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

very nice!

6. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

Finally got out and worked on my truck this weekend. Changed the front bowtie from gold to polished and completely removed the rear bowtie. Then finished it up with a good wash and wax. IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1389.jpg IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1391.jpg IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1371.jpg IMG_1373.jpg IMG_1386.jpg

7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

finally got them!!!

photo.jpg

and thats my 2-year-old with his collar brace on, he broke his left collarbone in half on saturday while he was with his mom at her parents house on their bed and rolled off of it :(
    he's a champ though! and he will definitely help me install these mirrors tomorrow morning :)

8. SurrealOne

I took my truck to my body man, this morning, so he could erase what the 'touchfree' car wash did to my driver's side rear fender flare. He was going to have it done for me in the afternoon but fell behind due to a family emergency, so I pick up my ride tomorrow. (His family and mine are friends ... and his dad went to the hospital, today. Thankfully he's ok.)

9. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Bama, truck is looking great all shined up.

reggiecab, awesome cant wait to see them on. There is a good how to on leveling the mirrors, as they often sit a bit angled (just google how to level towing mirrors silverado and you should find it.) I have all heard to throw out the directions because there is a great step by step guide on YouTube as well.

as for me.... Getting ready to make my 45 min commute to the jobsite. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for FedEx to show up today, have some new lights the wife ordered for my birthday.

10. SurrealOne

I took today off, so today I:

• Picked up my truck from my body man
    • Went to Lowe's and bought some grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts because I didn't like the thread damage I was seeing on the zinc ones I previously used to mount the air tank carrier
    • Drove to an auction to buy some dirt, but the auction for the dirt I wanted was postponed -again-
    • Drove to the family lake house
    • Pressurized and leak-tested the air tanks in the carrier ... found 4 leaks I hadn't noticed before -- and they were NOT related to compression fittings
    • Depressurized the air tanks and removed all plugs and the draincock from each air tank
    • Cleaned all open air tank ports to make sure no old PTFE tape remained
    • Inspected and cleaned all plugs to be reused
    • Replaced two plugs as I noticed thread damage on each
    • Applied Loctite 545 pneumatic thread sealant to the plugs and draincocks and re-installed them in the air tanks
    • Allowed 2 hours of cure time (out of a total of 24) for the thread sealant
    • Pressurized the air tanks to 60psi and leak-checked them, again -- and noted there was not a single leak from any connection or fitting
    • Depressurized the air tanks and then mounted the air tank carrier under the truck, again
    • Reconnected the air tanks to the rear air manifold

After 24 hours of cure time elapses I'll repressurize the system to 120psi, leak check it again, and if everything checks out I'll leave pressure in it and start monitoring it at intervals to see what kind of variance I can expect. Now I just need my compressor bracket!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.