1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What have u done to ur GM truck today?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by devilsalmostfree, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

Changed out the U-joints a little while ago. Took just under an hour, thanks to help from my cousin and FIL.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I've been paying more attention at the body shop while talking with my body man than I think he knows ... and he probably has no idea how good my memory is. Hence, I've learned a thing or two just by watching while yapping at the shop ... and it's time to apply it. So, today I ordered the following in preparation for a polishing job I intend to do next weekend (weather permitting) ... to get rid of swirl marks that my truck came with (since i bought it used):
    • Makita 9227CX3 rotary polisher/sander
    • 3M 5/8" quick release adapter
    • Three 3M foam double-sided compounding pads (05705 [white], 05706 [black], and 05708 [blue])
    • Three 16oz bottles of 3M compounds (39060 [rubbing compound for use on white pad], 30961 [machine polish aka swirl remover for use on black pad], 39062 [ultrafine machine polish for use on blue pad])

I've eyeballed the RPM's he runs when polishing with his air polisher, and it looks like 1200-1800 is about right ... slower on the more coarse grit compounds (39060) and faster on the finer stuff (39062).

I wanted an air polisher/sander but good ones are STUPIDLY expensive so I settled for electric (which still wasn't cheap ... but it was half the price of the air tool I wanted). I'll still wax by hand using paste because I'm old-school like that.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] check out the Adams Polish website. They have some video's on there that talk about buffer speed as well as other tips for using the powered polishers.
  4. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

Good info for later use!
  5. SurrealOne

Today I detailed the interior of my truck to get rid of the layer of pollen that was covering EVERYTHING. As part of the effort I steam-cleaned both the carpet and the headliner. I also decided to move some things from my Du-Ha kit to the truck box to make room for long guns, again.

@aloxdaddy99, thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Did a boat load of errands today also greased all the door hinges because they were creaking and I had to re tighten my starter terminal after it loosened. Good thing it came undone in the driveway not in some parking lot. I also removed the excess gasket material from the roof so it looks great :smile:. Finished my day by taking pics for a review of my Ryobi tools I'm gonna post on the site.
  7. offroadmaine

offroadmaine New Member

just be careful when ur buffing and keep moving never sit in one spot or you will burn through your clear coat, thats how buffing works it esentially heats up your clear coat and melts it smooth it a little more complicated then that as you know by what type of compound u bought but as a body man myself i have seen many many people sit in on spot to long and go right though there clear coat and trust me that is an ugly mark you have to repaint that part of the truck to remove. the hotter it is outside or in your shop the faster you need to move around keep an eye on the temp of your paint by touching it with your hand every once and a while.
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

I drove my Duramax for work, as usual. Today I loaded it up with 5,600 lbs of gravel on the deck.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Drove about 180+ miles home from vermont in the truck averaged about 18-20 on the highway which is great and used the cruise about 90% of the time. Also go a new set of driving lights to replace the one I knocked off this winter.
  10. SurrealOne

I put nearly 200 miles on the truck today, with 140ish being towing miles, as I was dragging the trailer to pick up a small riding mower on which I got a stupidly good deal.

I also scared up a used-but-new (as in all items still in plastic) Shurhold 3101 DA Polisher Starter Kit (just like this: http://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-3101-Action-Polisher-Starter/dp/B002OIFB7S) for 40 clams, which took me a bit out of my way during the mower pick-up. Obviously I made sure it worked before paying. I'm giddy over it because I was looking to buy a DA polisher to reduce wax buffing time, next weekend and, at the price I paid, I feel like I stole this one.

When it was time to refuel, I poured 32oz of Techron Concentrate Plus into the truck's empty 34 gallon fuel tank; I figure a little varnish clean-up might help my now-higher-mileage engine, and this is one of the few fuel additives I've read about that has a proven track record.
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.